markpsmith

Patron
After I was done riveting the HS-609 bars to the rear spar channel I noticed a "crackle" sound when I slighly torqued the spar. I thought maybe I had cracked the spar channel while riveting - don't ask me why I thought this - I am new. It sure sounded like a crack - so I took the left side apart (drilled out ALL left side rivets) and checked for something. Of course there was nothing. I guess this is the sounds aluminum makes when rubbing?

Also, I had to enlarge the holes to put -5 rivets in. Are there any structural issues with the -5 rivet? (previous ones are -4's)

I am probably over thinking this whole thing - but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,
First, it is usually a good idea to contact Van's about any structural questions you may have. Van's folks definitely know best. Here, you can never be completely sure about the validity of the advice you get. Like the following, for example: :D
Structurally the -5 rivets should be fine as long as you were able to maintain adequate edge distances.

Also, something I learned from those that had gone before was when you have to drill out a rivet and you slightly enlarge the hole, you don't necessairly have to go up to the next size rivet. You can take a rivet of the same diameter that is .5 to 1 longer than the original rivet and "pre-squeeze" it a little. That will fatten the rivet up just a little so that it fits snug in the slightly larger hole. It is kind of like manufacturing your own -4.2 rivets. :)

I hope this helps. It is all a great learning experinece. Especially the emp kit.

Answer...

Thanks...Van's said that -5 rivets will be fine. Min edge distance is an issue, however, due to the forces acting on the spar bars as well as its thickness, it will not present any strucural problems.

Mark