HIIFLY

Well Known Member
Getting ready to install my Airflow performance elect. aux. fuel pump on the lt. side but a friend of mine pointed out how hard it would be to accesss if you have to remove it for repairs. He suggested mounting it on the rt. side directly under the frt. luggage door, with a removable floor in the luggage compartment it would be easily accessable. but the plumbing would require some cross the floor enginering. Has anyone done this and what is the groups thought of moving the pump ??? Thanks in advance.

All I can say is I did change mine in the stock location with little effort, but when I installed it I did the connections with the little knife splices so I could do the wiring easily. You get used to bending over in there to check everything during annuals etc.

You could put the pump on the right - but then either you'd have to move the fuel **** or else run a second length of fuel pipe from the stock location on the left over to the pump, which might be an interesting bit bit of plumbing to install. Also note that many people have forest of grounds tab on the right or are running the fat wire from the battery through that territory. Possibly not a good combination.

The little knife splices are excellent by the way for wiring the fuel pump in - note that the warranty is void if you remove the supplied lengths of wire from the pump, and it is VERY easy to shear off the little studs that the wires connect to.

Personally I think the stock location is fine - this is not one of the bits I wish I had done differently - my next RV is going to be SO GOOD.....

Chris

Elec Fuel Pump

I installed mine on the floor just to the left of the left rudder pedal. No problems removing the filter to clean the screen at condition insp. time by removing the baggage comp. floor.

Another thought

I installed mine per the plans (left side) and one thing I tried to do throughout the wiring and plumbing process was to keep the electrics separate from the fuel system. I have the bulk of my wiring on the right side switch-panel and gear tower and of couse the left side had the fuel selector valve, filter, and pump. The only switches I have over there are up on the panel and there are only a couple of low voltage wires on that side of the aircraft for panel lights.
Just a thought...

Not worth the effort.

Getting ready to install my Airflow performance elect. aux. fuel pump on the lt. side but a friend of mine pointed out how hard it would be to accesss if you have to remove it for repairs. He suggested mounting it on the rt. side directly under the frt. luggage door, with a removable floor in the luggage compartment it would be easily accessable. but the plumbing would require some cross the floor enginering. Has anyone done this and what is the groups thought of moving the pump ??? Thanks in advance.

If you remove the front baggage floor shelf (which it's designed to do), like you should anyway for the CI, the pump and filter can be had easily enough and to me not worth any the extra effort. Putting it on the RH side takes away from luggage space which is tight enough as it is.

Fuel pump move

Thank you all for your reply ,and it looks like stock location has it hands down. Their must be a reason that it is located where it is and no one has moved it . Regards. :)

If you really want it there, I don't see any reason you could not do it, it is just a mirror image of the stock install.

That said, I did mine per stock since I put my aux battery in the right well. To make removing the tray easier, I made studs out of -5 rivets for the left sidewall side and the only screws are on the right side of the tray. That way I only have to remove the easy screws and then push out and pivot up the tray to release it. Works very nicely.