John H

This afternoon N130X was departing DeLand (KDED) wher the pilot experienced engine problems. The airplane went down to the NW of the field and stopped in or near a ditch. The good news the pilot is basicaly unharmed a few bruses and scrapes but alive and well. The aircraft is a total loss. As more information is learned I'll post what I know.

John H

airplane down ...

So sorry to hear about another plane down. Great news that the pilot is A-OK ... that's all that matters.

Let's hope this is the last aviation accident for many, many, many years.

I read somewhere the FAA has compiled a stat record of an 88% fatality rate of pilots who, after loosing an engine on take off, try to return to the same airport. Land straight ahead or where the best landing terrain permits. Fly the plane the whole way, keep your airspeed up, stall just above the ground. Keep flying until the plane stops.

To whom ever was flying that 8,.......... Well Done.

Last edited:
No need for names, but a quick search reveals that the this plane recieved its airworthiness ceritificate on January 30 of this year. Glad to hear that the pilot is doing 0k, but I feel bad for the owner/pilot to lose the plane after having it completed for such a short period of time.

I noticed that the plane is registered to an LLC. There seems to have been some discussion on this topic as of late.

Another interesting thing is that the N# of this RV-8 used to belong to a Lockheed Hercules, which was also destroyed (may have been intentional.)

Here's to a speedy recovery for whatever injuries the pilot did sustain. All too often these stories have much more tragic endings.

Fly the plane the whole way, keep your airspeed up, stall just above the ground. Keep flying until the plane stops.

To whom ever was flying that 8,.......... Well Done.

I wouldn't recommend this approach in a RV. With a high sink rate, you are more likely to suffer severe back and spinal injuries. Keep your forward speed up and your descent rate minimal. Forward speed will bleed off rapidly once on the ground.

Now, if you are over a forest, etc, a different plan might be in order. In each case, you have to do what's necessary for the conditions. But by and large, less sink rate is optimal over high forward speed.

I wouldn't recommend this approach in a RV.

Point taken. Stalling 1-2" off the ground under no power is gonna be a new experience. The main point I was trying to make was land straight ahead. Don't try and turn back to the airport unless you are at pattern altitude or higher.

Try a 180 turn, 3,000' AGL, 100MPH (or your climb out speed). See how much altitude you loose. :eek:

The good news is the 8 driver this thread is about is safe & sound.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend this approach in a RV. With a high sink rate, you are more likely to suffer severe back and spinal injuries. Keep your forward speed up and your descent rate minimal. Forward speed will bleed off rapidly once on the ground.

I think you see Larry's point, and I see yours. Still, bleeding off all the speed possible can be important, depending on the surface you are landing on and especially in an A model. I practice the full (or near full) stall landing and also immediately on touchdown begin raising the flaps and moving the trim to "down" to give more elevator authority. With flap and trim controls side by side, it is a one hand operation and quite effective. It allows lowering the nose at perhaps 5 mph lower speed, something I consider important to preventing ending up upside down. I don't know if the -8 flaps would make this much difference or not.

Great news that someone lived to try it again. Had to be excellent flying on his part. That first unplanned glider landing isn't fun. Sorry about the plane...

Bob Kelly

Bob and Larry,

Yes, I completely agree that the best news is that the pilot successfully executed an off-field landing and is alive and well. It has to be a very frightening experience. That temptation to turn back is pretty strong, especially if you are worried about bending up your beauty.

In terms of the forward speed, I have read extensively on the subject in preparation for a day that I hope never happens to me or anyone else. I will conclude with what many of the experts concluded which is that a small miss in gauging the flair point can result in significant G-force on your spine. Their conclusion was to fly it onto the ground well above stall speed at close to zero vertical speed. Of course, you have to be over terrain that supports such a plan. Here in Indiana as you know Bob, that's not usually a problem.