Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, so it wasn't the longest trip, just across the country from north to south, but enough to force me into managing the cockpit more than I do for an hour or two within Texas. A few things that I found out that might or might not apply for others...

1) I have used the AirChart bound WAC and IFR enroutes for many years, and was wondering how well they'd do in a tandem cockpit. I was very pleased! With my kneeboard on my right leg as usual, the folded-over book laid perfectly on my left thigh. The only unusual thing was how fast I kept having to change pages! ;)

2) I usually keep the local approach plate book in one of my side storage bins. For a longer trip, I needed more NOS books, and I was wondering where to keep them. I found an old approach-book bag that holds about five bound volumes, and that was all I needed - it fit beside the back of the pilot's seat, just behind the passenger foot well. Won't work with a passenger however...

3) With two GPS's feeding three moving maps, the WAC charts were handy just to keep me from being bored! The trip was actually the best shakedown I have had for all the IFR nav systems, even though I was VFR, because it gave me time to get in the groove for following along with VOR changes, Keeping up with ATIS's, etc. The WAC's were useful for this. I also practiced switching autopilot modes a lot, from EFIS to GNS, and within the EFIS from heading to NAV modes. When I wanted to do "what-if's" on the GNS for different destinations, I could just freeze the current heading and fly that while playing around. Never got off course. Lacking a detailed simulator, this was a great "LOFT" session!

4) Plan your fuel stops at abandonded airports, or you'll lose all sorts of time, because folks come out of the wood-work to look at an -8! :cool:

5) I'm reallly glad I have the adjustable rudder pedals, because it was handy to get them out of the way. Danny King pointed out a downside to the pedal extensions - he stretches out by putting his feet "under" the pedals, and I can't do that - but I was able to get them pretty far forward and out of my way to stretch, and that worked great. I am adding a line to my descent checklist hower - "Rudder Pedal - adjust for landing", because I was flying my descent and pattern entry with trim and the autopilot, and then discovered on downwind that the pedals weren't there! Not a good place to be ducking down to reach the little handle. :eek:

6) I am really looking forward to getting my Altrak installed, because keeping the -8 on altitude was about like my old Yankee - you might THINK you have it trimmed, but it is just a transient state!

7) I do admire folks with polished airplanes - I really DO! But I can't wait to get some paint on this thing, because I'm tired of being blinded by the sun's reflection off the top of the wings. A stick-on sunshade also worked well to keep the sunburn factor down.

8) Flying almost 600 mile VFR legs was no problem for fuel. Not a bad idea to have a relief bag with you though....

Gas prices are rising faster than AirNav can keep up - get out there and fly some long legs while you can still afford it!

Paul

Paul,
Thanks so much for all your compositional efforts. It is a real motivator for those of us still banging rivets.

Cheers,
Scott