laz

Well Known Member
I am just finishing up some details on my RV8. I used the standard hinge pins to fasten the cowl. On each side of the upper cowl there is about a 4" area along the firewall, below the top hinge and before the bottom cowl hinge where there is nothing. Do most leave that gap or do some of you rivet a strip of aluminum to the firewall between the upper and lower hinge to fill that gap?

It is easy to do in mine since the firewall rivets are not yet installed ( about 5 of them ) in that area.

If you use the alternate method of attaching the cow with fasteners there is usually one place in that area.

any thoughts are appreciated.

If installing per plans, that area is left open (No Pins). For added rigidity in the area if you want to make the two longitudinal pins that go FWD & AFT long enough to catch the firewall lip it will prevent that area from bulging.

Thanks .

I guess I was not worried about the bulge, but that is a good idea. I guess the gap is ok as per plans, but thought was why have the gap. I spent a lot of time positions my hinges just so there would not be a gap between eyelet's, I also surmised that having the lip off the cowl rest on the solid piece of hinge would hep recent eyelet breaking.

I have some 1,300 hours on my -8 with the cowl pins as described in the plans. No problems.

I did have to replace the hinge pins at the bottom of the cowl and replaced them with #8 countersunk screws (as many folks have).

YMMV