Skyflyer

Well Known Member
Friend
I just reviewed a recent thread on the issue of front and rear control stick modifications for the 8 and the fact that Todd Rudberg no longer does this. Has a new service evolved, or are we on our own for stick reconfigurations?

On a related theme, I find the fit between the control stick and column to be awkward. The brass bushing in the stick is a very tight fit in the steel sleeve permitting no movement, thus longitudinal stick movement must rotate the end of the brass bushing against the flange of the control column, correct? The flanges in my control column are not parallel and the bushing will not fit without shortening and then will not fit snugly without some modification of the flanges to bring them parallel. Is this a problem others have dealt with, or am I looking at this wrong?

Chuck

Chuck,

The stick weldment should rotate around the bushing. It took me quite a bit of handwork with a dowel and some emery cloth in the stick to make that happen. The bushing gets shortened and the ends filed at an angle to match the angles of the flanges on the control column. This also helps keep the bushing from rotating. This is all per the instructions on my matched hole 8 fuse kit.

Hello Chuck,

Just as Guy says, you need to work with some emery cloth to get the bushing rotating freely in the stick weldment. Then you can match the ends of the bushing to match the flanges as required, the bushing will be held firm, and the stick rotates around it.

I haven't heard of anyone picking up the ball on stick bending yet....they're all busy lining up to make carburetor parts now...;)

Thanks guys. That makes complete sense. I thought the stick should rotate on the bushing but the current fit is so tight I will have to drive them (front and back) out of the sleeve to work them. They are really stuck in there.

Believe it or not, I did look ahead in the book for those very details but must have overlooked them.

Chuck