AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

Paint shop just finished painted my RV-8 so I am installing everything back togheter but I have a big problem with the canopy skirt scratching the paint over turttle deck, so could you recomend me some kind of anti-chafe tape that is clear. I will install it over the turttle deck or better inside the skirt. I live in Chile and my RV-8 is the first one so I do not have the expiriense from others.

Please give me your advice:confused:

What I did was to buy some inexpensive felt at the fabric store, cut it into strips about an inch wide, spray the back of it with 3M adhesive, and stick the strips to the underside of the edge of the canopy skirt (this is the only part of the skirt that touches the skin). Not only does it keep you from scratching the paint, it will prevent the awful drumming noise that many people get as they accelerate on their first flight....;)

Paul

AC Spruce sell a felt tape with adheasive backing. It is about an inch wide and does the job just fine.

The perfect canopy chafe tape

I used the "fuzzy" side of a 1 inch Velcro self adhesive strip for the canopy seal. It works absolutely perfect in this installation. The adhesive that is applied to the tape is very aggressive, and has held up well. I have a one piece canopy skirt molded to my plane, so it is a tight fit. Without the seal I had a little trouble getting the canopy open from the outside. After the Velcro was installed, it relieved the initial friction, and it opens quite easily.
My 9A slider canopy shuts like a refrigerator door, and there is no chafing or air leaks of any kind. It truly seems to be the perfect solution, at least for my plane.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Thanks for the reply!!!

Anyone could post a picture of their skirt anti-chafe installation???

Should I install the velcro or felt around all edge or just some spot???

I too used the fuzzy velcro on the skirt of my -8 and it works great. You will have to cut darts along the curve of the skirt for the velcro to lay flat and keep it from creeping over time. The first time I tried the velcro I did not cut the darts and while it looked great at first, over a few months it did 'walk' a little. For the second installation I cut the darts and this time it has not moved.

I like the fuzzy Velcro idea - the darts woudld make it workable on the curves. One advantage to the felt is that if you fit your canopy REALLY tight, the felt is thin, plus, it strecthes around curves really well. Mine has been on for over a thousand hours now, without coming off....

Paul

We offer 3M paint protection film. It goes directly on the paint and can be removed years later with no mess if desired. Works great on fairings, landing gear, canopies, any area that is subject to dings, scrapes, and rubbing.

Trim to fit with scissors. Easy to apply. Sold in 2" or 4" width by the foot. The 4" width is the stuff for covering the top of your flaps where they rub the wing skin.

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1