APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I?ve nearly completed my canopy save for installing the windscreen frame. The canopy is difficult to open without applying force simultaneously on both sides. When I finally install the windscreen frame it will be impossible to get my fingernails between the canopy and windscreen thus nearly impossible to open not to mention the impossibility of being on both sides of the canopy at once when single pilot. I?ve checked the Delrin block on the slider and it does not appear to bind or to be too tight. Clearly, however, the ski-jump on the forward slider is the culprit.

Have others encountered this issue and if so how did you deal with it.

Thx,
Don

Check The Pin Fit

Check the fit of the pin into the delrin block. Mine was the exact same way until I fitted the hole to the actual diameter of the pin with it's factory powder coating.
If I remember correctly the pin is 1/4" diameter but with the powder coating it was about .010-.020 oversize and the delrin block is drilled 1/4" and it was binding.

Mine was like that at first. I put a little antiseize compound on it and it helped. I like it kind of tight. I figure it will get too loose eventually, so I don't worry about it to much.

There is a definite "trick" to getting a properly fitted RV-8 canopy open, and it is hard to describe. Basically, you need to "lift" the skirt at the corner where the horizontal bottom starts curving up the fuselage - but you need to lift it in the same direction as th pin in the aft block - diagonally. Do this as you pull back on the canopy handle, and do it with a little "pop", and it will come right open. Some folks put a little piece of angle at that corner to make a "handle", so you don't have to use the actual edge of the skirt.

As Louise was transitioning into the front seat of our -8, the toughest part for her was learning to open the canopy - it just seemed impossible - then after she got it once, she has never had a problem since. Have and RV-8 driver show it to you!

Paul

There is a definite "trick" to getting a properly fitted RV-8 canopy open, and it is hard to describe. Basically, you need to "lift" the skirt at the corner where the horizontal bottom starts curving up the fuselage - but you need to lift it in the same direction as th pin in the aft block - diagonally. Do this as you pull back on the canopy handle, and do it with a little "pop", and it will come right open.
Paul

Paul et al,
Tried it. It works!
Thanks,
Don