Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, y'all can laugh at me if you want.....I've been flying the Val for a bit more than two years, and in all that time, I haven't been very satisfied with the operation of the canopy latch - the spring-loaded "hook" that attaches to the handle has never moved very freely. I have constantly had to manually move it to the "open" position before sliding the canopy closed for latching. I often sit in the airplane and think "OK, I need to get a stronger spring"....but by the time I get done flying, that thought has passed, and I never do.

Well, it's not a stronger spring that it needs! The other day I removed the canopy to give the inside a really thorough cleaning (believe me, it is easier than trying to do it on the airframe!), and while the latch was removed, for some reason, I thought "gee, I wondered what would happen if I loosened up the castle nut (on the bolt that holds the hook to the handle) by one flat?" Voil?! Free motion, and an embarrassed look on my face....:eek:

I share in case anyone else has been having this problem - the nut doesn't have to be very tight to stop it from moving freely.....it will only cost you a cotter pin to re-do it if it is a bit tight...:rolleyes:

SNIP

The other day I removed the canopy to give the inside a really thorough cleaning (believe me, it is easier than trying to do it on the airframe!),

SNIP

Sorry Paul, I ain't buying it! Too scary removing the most difficult part in the whole plane to make!:eek:

BTW, did you just figure out that bolts can tighten?:p

Ducking for cover....

Hey Paul, The other guys can snicker if they want, but I had the exact same problem. Loosened up the nut a smidgin, and as you said "Voila", the spring snaps good now.

The other day I removed the canopy to give the inside a really thorough cleaning (believe me, it is easier than trying to do it on the airframe!), and while the latch was removed, for some reason, I thought "gee, I wondered what would happen if I loosened up the castle nut (on the bolt that holds the hook to the handle) by one flat?" Voil?! Free motion, and an embarrassed look on my face....:eek:QUOTE]

I looked at this on Saturday and mine has a clevis pin, washer and cotter pin. This seems very simple and almost totally in shear. I wonder when and why they changed it?

Karl

I looked at this on Saturday and mine has a clevis pin, washer and cotter pin. This seems very simple and almost totally in shear. I wonder when and why they changed it?

Karl

Not sure why you have a clevis pin, but the plans have always specified a clevis bolt with a castellated nut and cotter pin.