Toddav8r

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. The plans aren't really clear about how much gap there should be between the roll bar and the forward hoop of the canopy frame when the canopy is closed. Has anyone else seen this issue? What did you do?

Picture 1: Assuming I properly modify the latch hook so that it pulls the canopy the last 1/8" or so, maintains tension, and the rear pin is fully seated like it is in the picture, is it OK for the canopy frame to be contacting the support rib like it is in the picture? I don't like the chaffing potential myself.

Canopy%2520Frame%25201.jpg

Picture 2: If I modify the latch hook to pull the frame to the position where the rollers are just touching the roll bar base plate, is it OK that the anchor pin is only halfway engaged (or less) in the rear block and that the frame is sitting a full 1/4" higher than it does when the pin is fully engaged? I'm not sure it will maintain tension with the weight of the canopy on the frame.

Canopy%2520Frame%25202.jpg

After several e-mails with Van's support, and after convincing them the frame was touching the F-8104 Fwd Skin support ribs with the rear pin fully seated, the only response I got was that it doesn't matter much if the frame contacts the roll bar or rib, but that there's a lot of lift on the back of the canopy, and they would like to see the pins fully engaged in the blocks.

If that's the case, maybe installing some UHMW tape on the support ribs would help with my chafing concerns, and just accept that the rollers will climb up onto the roll bar base and the minimal gap between the rollbar and frame.

Am I fretting too much? Should I just make sure the rear pin is seated and press on?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Canopy frame issues

I just installed mine , just need to Sikaflex it together . The canopy frame gets raised off the roller when you fit the canopy , mine was raised a little less than 1/2 in. ( Todd's Canopy ) , this changes the geometry a little . I would not change any thing yet , get the canopy on it and go from there. I did remove the tip of the pin , maybe 3/32" so it would not drag / scratch the rear track.
Tom

let it pull forward

Mine pulls forward until the rollers are up onto the roll bar base. I have very little gap between the roll bar and the hoop on the canopy. my rear pin is fully engaged.

I think that is the way it should be.

Frame Gap

My roller position is exactly like you show in picture 1 and I have a 3/16" gap between the roll bar and frame.

I would just throw a 1/8" shim in between the pin block and the bulkhead at the back to move it away a little.

Dave