Bob Miller

I'm New Here
My 8 has been flying for 2 years. Recently the left brake began dragging. When I replaced the pads I noticed that the fluid level was low so I attempted to refill the system using the bottom up method via the BRAKE BLEEDER ASSEMBLY. I was surprised to discover that the system will not take fluid from the bottom up ! However fluid flows readily down the system when the bleeder nut is opened. It occurres to me that this may be at the root of the initial brake trouble......Fluid is being somehow trapped between the master cylinder and the brakes assembly and holding a small amount of pressure on the brake at all times. Has anyone else had this problem? Cure?

Welcome !!!!

Bob, welcome to VAF:D

Wow, 2 years, and finally getting around to joining the forum........

As to the brakes, be sure the pedal is returning all the way back to the release position.

There is a port to relieve the pressure in the brake master cylinder, and the piston covers it up at the beginning of the stroke. If the brake rod doesnt come all the way back, the pressure is not relieved.

Lots of prior discussion about this, time to become familiar with the "search" function.

Here is one.

Another one, with link to photos.

Last edited:
Pedal is not returning all the way, master cylinder can't vent to the reservoir

Let me guess, Matco master cylinders? Try to solve the problem first using the suggestions above. After that if you just can't seem to get it to work satisfactorily then consider switching to the Grove replacement master cylinders. I did and noticed an immediate improvement and no more dragging brakes.

Chris