rv72004

Well Known Member
I am making a list of to do things before I start my 8. One thing I noticed is that the eight uses a different battery "box" and battery to the 7. I like the 7 set up. Much slimmer and neater. Why does Vans do this , and has anyone gone for the 7 type installation.
I havent started and already I want to modify. O well.............:)

EJ,

An awful lot of us have found that with an O360 and a CS prop, the rear battery option is a good way to make the W&B work a little better in the -8. In that case, you don't even have a battery "box" per se'...it's just a battery tray that mounts down on the floor ribs. Works great!

Paul

Mines on the firewall

I began my fusalage thinking I would put the battery in the aft of the 8. Steve Formhals helped me work weight and balance numbers. After looking at the numbers and talking to some more friends I decided to put the oddessy battery on the firewall. With the battery in the back I would land with aft C-G after burning off the fuel. Of course I am 250Lbs, Ok Im really 260 but plan on being 250 soon. I will fly with a passenger alot which also influenced my decsion.
The battery is always in the back with the 200hp. with the 180hp it can go in either position and will depend on your weight and what you want to put in the rear seat.
Chad