Skykingbob

Well Known Member
I was just wanting some opinions as whether to get the stock fiberglas top for the back seat or get the parts to make the back seat all metal?

Anybody want to chime in on pro's or con's?:rolleyes::confused:

seat back

Mine is fiberglass and has worked very well. No complaints, plus it may be a tad bit lighter.

Fiberglass. Worked well now for 13+ yrs and 1575 hrs.

Just now thinking about the weight, I would agree. But some prudently spaced and sized lightening holes in the (fiberglass) back might remedy that issue.

Last edited:
Having busted several fiberglass ones, metal is the answer.
Its lighter, stronger.
If you never pull g's with passengers, then yours will be fine either way.
Im surely the worst case scenario. I take bubbas up to 380 lbs, and fly em hard. Fiberglass breaks in these circumstances.

Like yours, our -8 kit is the older pre-pre-punched fuselage, and we decided to go with the metal top instead of the fibreglass unit.

I cleco'd the top together, then laid it flat on the bench and aligned the non-prepunched lower parts to it's width. Once the lower section is made to be a nice snug fit to the top, you can angle to seat top and drill the two items together. It's worth paying attention to where some of the edges and tabs go as you drill, plus a few of the holes need to be drilled in a certain order during that process to make your life easier.

I found it went together well and was a fun alternative to making gelcoat dust! There is an old thread here...