Maybe an RV-4, but I don't think it's possible with the -8. Even then, I think you really don't want to take the power down that much; the airfoil is not designed for it. I seem to recall there was some discussion of LSA RV-9s sometime back, but the relatively inexpensive RV-12 seems to make it a moot question.

Is it that you want a taildragger. I've wondered why Van's has not come out with an RV-12(A? T? whatever).

There have been a few LSA 9's built but I doubt you can get the stall speed down low enough in the -8.

The problem, even with the -9, is getting the empty weight down low enough to leave room for fuel and at least one person.

The -9A and -9 that I know of that were built as E-AB's that meat the LSA limits both had O-235's.

Plenty of discussion in the archives about various models as LSA. Bottom line, won't work (except 12) because of weight and speed issues. I can't imagine building an 8 under about 1000 lbs. Add weight of pilot and some fuel and you're over gross.

Greg

A good idea

It is a good idea, but as mentioned above, the design goal of the RV-8 did not embrace the possibility of it being outfitted as an LSA. The main problem would be speed and weight. The VNE of an RV-8 is around 200 knots, the cruising speed is around 160-180 knots. This would slightly differ depending on how the aircraft was outfitted, but even with an 0-235 or similar engine the airframe is so clean that it would be too fast for LSA restrictions. The smaller and lighter engine up front would also lead to potential weight and balance issues. So overall this specific application would not be practicable for an LSA conversion.

The RV-12 is constructed completely of .020 unlike most of the other models which are constructed of .032 or greater. It was built with a purpose to stay within the LSA limits which is why it is lighter than the other models and not as aerodynamicaly "clean".

"Is it that you want a taildragger. I've wondered why Van's has not come out with an RV-12(A? T? whatever)."

Patrick Kelley,
When I talked to Mr. VanGrunsven about this, he pretty much told me that the way the rudder system is set up it would be very hard to make a tailwheel mod. Next time you see an RV-12 and any other single digit RV next to each other compare them and you will see what I mean. Also there is not a suitable bulkhead far enough forward to accomidate the main gear further forward.

The deadline to license as an E-LSA passed several years ago. The only way now to license as an E-LSA is if it is a kit of an S-LSA that was approved by the FAA.

All the aircraft needs to be is........

1. gross weight max 1320#

2. stall speed no flaps 45kts.

3. max speed at sea level 120kts

4. max 2 seats

5. fixed gear

6. no in air adjustable prop.

7. must meet these parameters continuously from original certification.

Except in Australia where LSA rules allow the plane can be as fast as you can make it. There are Rv 9, 7 , 4's and 3's that I kmow of but havent yet heard of an 8 but i see no reason why not.

Paul

Except in Australia where LSA rules allow the plane can be as fast as you can make it. There are Rv 9, 7 , 4's and 3's that I kmow of but havent yet heard of an 8 but i see no reason why not.

Paul

Those Aussies sure are smart. Our best and brightest are spending untold millions to develop efficient, environmentally friendly power sources, cars and other vehicles, yet the FAA has limited the top speed of light sport aircraft and many manufacturers leave off wheel pants or utilize inefficient propellers to stay under the max airspeed. That restriction seems contrary to everything else we are doing to increase efficiency and minimize waste in most other endeavors. How did this happen?

Those Aussies sure are smart. Our best and brightest are spending untold millions to develop efficient, environmentally friendly power sources, cars and other vehicles, yet the FAA has limited the top speed of light sport aircraft and many manufacturers leave off wheel pants or utilize inefficient propellers to stay under the max airspeed. That restriction seems contrary to everything else we are doing to increase efficiency and minimize waste in most other endeavors. How did this happen?

Do you really have to ask?:rolleyes:

Webster's definition (Ok, not really from Webster's):
Bureaucrat - (n) An individual or group of individuals who impart the most rules and regulations upon a constituent group of citizenry for the specific purpose of requisitioning and maintaining, from the tax coffers of that citizenry, the highest level of staffing payroll possible.

Not sure where efficiency or minimizing waste would ever come into play from a government bureaucrat.