flickroll

Well Known Member
I would like to install two of Stein's smaller air vents in the front cockpit of an -8, one on the left, one on the right. What is the best way to split the flow from the air intake to both sides of the cockpit?

Thanks

Jim Shannon
RV-8 N52VV
Charlottesville, VA

Split flow

I ran 2 inch scat tube to about 3 " away from the left side intake vent over to where the left vent is mounted on my panel. I placed some stainless screen inside the scat tubing at the intake vent outlet to keep bugs and other small critters out. I then ran some scat tube from the right side panel vent underneith the instrument wiring to the left side. Then I used a 1 1/2 inch PVC "T" with stainless worm clamps from Lowes to tie everything together. Finally, I ran a 4" section of scat tubing from the PVC T to the left panel vent. I'm pleased, the scat tubing from across the from the right side is well hidden and does not droop down below the panel. The PVC T is firmly in place due to the proximity to the left panel vent. The left panel vent may get a bit more air pressure than the right vent but I think I can easily adjust both sides flows with the vent controls. I used the AV-1.625B vents from Stein Air http://www.steinair.com/eyeballvents.htm
which are exceptional quality.
A pic of the panel and vents is mid-page (post #78) here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5018&page=8

Albert Thomas
RV-8A QB
N880AT
still wiring.......

Last edited:
I installed the small air vents from Steinair in the upper pannel, one on each side. Plumbing is similar to what Albert described. The only difference is that I used a 2 inch metal Y tube from Vans instead of PVC. Part number below:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...6&browse=heatvent&product=air-routing-devices

If you are careful you can run your scat so that it is not visible from the cockpit.

Mike Draper
N468RV
TMX 0360 CS
Finishing, finishing, finishing....

Routing the cable

I'm struggling with arranging a control cable for the slide door for the fresh air vent. Can someone post some pictures or describe the routing of the cable? It seems like the scat tube is right in the way of where the cable needs to go.

I have the front baggage floor out right now redoing some wiring so this would be a good time to install a cable for the fresh air.

I'm struggling with arranging a control cable for the slide door for the fresh air vent. Can someone post some pictures or describe the routing of the cable? It seems like the scat tube is right in the way of where the cable needs to go.

I have the front baggage floor out right now redoing some wiring so this would be a good time to install a cable for the fresh air.

Slider door? That's actually someone's mod to the design - Van's design simply has you control the flow of air at the vents. Soo.......you're kind of on your own - whatever works!

Paul

I'm struggling with arranging a control cable for the slide door for the fresh air vent. Can someone post some pictures or describe the routing of the cable? It seems like the scat tube is right in the way of where the cable needs to go. .

I'm not sure what you mean. There is no control to stop the fresh air from the naca duct. Closing the vent shuts the air off. My heater box on the firewall does have a control. Below is how I routed the engine control cables and the heater control cable around the fresh air scat hose.

builderslog098axn9.jpg

Slider door? That's actually someone's mod to the design - Van's design simply has you control the flow of air at the vents. Soo.......you're kind of on your own - whatever works!

Paul

I hadn't thought of that! Yes, the builder modified the NACA vent to incorporate a slide door. I'll take pictures this weekend and post them. It's a nice job - looks original.

The good news is since I'm pulling 2-1/4" gages out I can put in the eyeball vent and scat and now have the airflow controllable and on the panel.

Pictures later!