Trekair

I'm New Here
Hello all,

New here. Planning on an '8 for high altitude cross country trips.

Couple questions:
- Anyone built/using aux fuel tank where aft seat would go? If so what is capacity? Any issues with install/operation?
- Anyone using a -390 engine with 3 blade MT prop, and if so what is performance?
- Anyone using an Oxygen system they really like

Cheers,

David.

ER Tanks from Hotel Whiskey

David,

I am configuring my -8 for XC travel. O2 is an alum bottle in the rear baggage with quick release clamps for off site filling. Plumbing is high pressure plastic tubing custom made by Aerox with threaded ends. they run up to the pilot's position under the canopy coaming, and terminate in a needle valve and inline flowmeter to a cannula. www.aerox.com

For fuel, I put extended range tanks by Hotel whiskey aviation. www.hotelwhiskey.com. (see the Sport Aviation article on them). They fit in the lightening holes inthe wing ribs. Adds an extra hour of fuel and only weight penalty is 13 lbs (empty). I went with the Grove alum gear for a weight savings to make up for the extra weight of the ER fuel tanks. If I were doing some over ocean work, I'd mold up a rear seat option as well.

I'm using a hot rodded IO-360 angle valve and a Hartzell blended airfoil prop. The 390 was not available when I was buying an engine. I probably would have gone with that. Cannot afford the Aerocomposites two-blade, which is the clear winner in speed as well as weight. 3 blades were never an option (to me) due to speed penalty.

Art in Asheville

David-

Dick Martin has an -8 with the IO-390 and an Aerocomposites prop; he has an aux fuel tank in the passenger seat. Don't know if he visits the forums, and I don't have any contact info - altho someone here might.

Thomas