lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
Ready (in sense of training too...) to start my aerobatic tests so I have two questions for you, RV pilots.

My manual says :

Loops, Horizontal Eights 140-190 MPH
Immelman Turns 150-190
Aileron Rolls, Barrel Rolls 120-190
Snap Rolls 80-110
Vertical Rolls 180-190
Split-S 100-110

with this wide range of speed.

In your opinion this range is intended as weight spread (under 1600lbs) or a range to verify ?

What speed could be as a starting point for an aileron roll, a barrel and a loop. (solo pilot - total weight 1067/CG @ 81) ?

I need a starting point - I set you free for any responsability ;o)

Last edited:
Acro

Do not do snap rolls. Other speeds are good. For the first aileron rolls, pull up and put your feet on the horizon before rolling at the faster speeds.

Hi Luke,

First, since there are so many folks that use different measurement units on the forums...are you talking knots or statute mph? If knots, I agree completely with Vern - and on the snap roll part as well!

When I am out doing my daily dose of Acro, I am usually between 3,000' to 4,000'. I just glance at the ASI before a maneuver. I can roll if I have anything greater than 120, loop if it is above 140. The acceptable speed range is large - you can do almost anything but true vertical stuff from level flight.

Paul

Hi Paul.

ops, sorry !

assumed that MPH is standard for Van's Manual, I intended MPH too.

4000 ft it's my standard low aerobatic (and general tests) zone.

Don't intend to snap my brand new toy, as a (new) Rv pilot I love

the gentle, military stile, positive manouver (here we call it 'voltige')

First step will be some aileron and barrel roll, then some loops pay attention to the speed build up (that's really fast!)

Other advices welcome.

Last edited:
It's safe but only if you think a snap roll at a moderate airspeed.

RVs are sport aerobatic planes and they are not intended for rapid, high-G

loading like a snap-roll figure impose.

my 2 cent

Please excuse my ignorance but is the rv series unable to snap roll safely?

Cheers
They are approved in my manual and I have done quite a few of them. Some people don't like snap rolls on general principles; they will say it is hard on the tail. If an RV has been damaged doing snap rolls at an appropriate speed I would like to hear about it.

I have also heard people say to not do split esses which are very low stress maneuvers when entered at the proper speed.

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance but is the rv series unable to snap roll safely?

The snap is one of those maneuvers that is neither well-understood, nor practiced much by pilots, especially if they haven't had any training beyond basic aerobatic maneuvers. Done improperly, it can impose a high-degree of needless stress on an airplane. Also, if you have a metal prop and a non-aerobatic (light) crank flange, snaps could potentially crack your flange over time due to the gyroscopic forces applied via the propellor.

Van originally did snaps in the RV-3 and published comments about it, including entry speeds, etc. I think Vans currently cautions against snaps due to the twisting loads on the tail and the potential for untrained/skilled pilots attempting them. It's not necessary to pull high-G's in order to initiate a snap. You could safely initiate a low speed snap with no more than 2 G's on the plane. Or you could overstress the plane with bad technique and/or an entry speed that is too high. RV's weren't specifically designed for certain advanced aerobatic maneuvers, so the recommendation to avoid snaps and stick to "gentleman's acro" is probably a good one for most pilots.

Last edited:
My RV8 stalls at about 1.4 Gs at 75 mph. So to keep your snap under 2 Gs..90 mph or so? Test what speed gives you an accelerated stall at 2 Gs or less and use that for initial snap practice.

Oh, and if you dont have inverted oil, watch the low Gs. Anything under about .3 and you will probably spill oil out your vent line.

My RV8 stalls at about 1.4 Gs at 75 mph. So to keep your snap under 2 Gs..90 mph or so? Test what speed gives you an accelerated stall at 2 Gs or less and use that for initial snap practice.

Sound logic to limit the potential stress on the airplane, but understand that you don't actually pull to the stall when performing snaps. To do so loads the airplane unnecessarily, not to mention results in a sluggish or "buried" snap (as we acroheads would say) that wastes energy rather than getting through the maneuver quickly and cleanly. A perfect snap is quite a refined art form. Alan Cassidy writes about them in outstanding detail in his book 'Better Aerobatics'.

Last edited:
A manoeuvre I use to take people on a bit from the normal rolls and loops is what is described variously as the 'Salmon Leap'.

Basically pull up for a Chandelle - as you start over the top at low energy, pop the snap in and check as it will rotate quite quickly to complete the rest of the Chandelle.

That is about the only snap manoeuvre I will do in a Vans.

There is too much fun to be had on those gorgeous swoopy high energy figures, why stress the airframe unnecessarily. Do those things in a Decathlon or Pitts.

:D

first aileron rolls

Hi,

I did my test yesterday. The RV-8 is designed to do it. A piece of cake (if you are really trained). After the first I did another, another and another ....

I can't wait to do it again :)

6000Ft / 150 Mph / nose up 30° / 140 Mph roll with rudder centered / exit was in flight level

Obviously when you start you MUST finish !

[ A friend with an RV-6 (not trained) when inverted felt unconfortably and istintively pulled. The dive was incredible fast with a lot of lost altitude.
Nothing happened but a lesson was learned..... ]

Thanks everybody for advices

Last edited: