Phil

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker for awhile and rarely posted. I've just been waiting for the right time to begin cranking up my efforts to build.

I'm undecided between the RV7a and the RV10. I'm pretty sure I understand the differences between the two, but I'd like the opportunity to see each model completed. (Not to mention, seeing a complete plane makes selling the idea to my wife easier!)

I'm not looking for a ride; just to opportunity to see one in person and see how well we fit into it.

I fly regularly out of KSGR (Sugarland), so if we need to make a Saturday trip to another city, we'd be happy to fly out to see the plane.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated, but I'll save the building chat for later...

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
Phil,

You might want to try to get in touch with either Phil or Ted at Plane Talk Hangar in Lockhart, Texas. There are several RVs on the field to include one RV10 and an assortment of 6-6a-7-7a. Phil or Ted are you listening???

They are good people and very enthusiastic about the RV line--they have also built several over the last 10 years so they could answer many "potential builder" questions you might have. I learned a lot from them before and during my build.

Cheers,

db

RV-10 Sugar Land

Phil,

I am not flying yet, but if you would like to look at a 10 project, I live in Sugar Land. I just started on the QB wings and fuselage. Couple of other ideas. 1) There are a number of RVs being built at Hooks. I've seen a 10, 7 and 8 there. 2) The Houston area RV builders have an active group that gets togther the 3rd Saturday of the month for lunch. It is a great way of meeting builders in the area. You can either find them on this forum or we have our own group on Yahoo Groups. This is the address -

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HoustonRVBuilders/

The monthly lunch is annouced via email if you join the Yahoo group. Also, if you watch VAF it has been annouced there also.

I don't know of any flying 10s in the Houston area, but I believe there are about 5 being built that I know of. There is one just North of The Woodlands that I believe is pretty close to being done.

If you would like to see my project some time send me a PM.

Dave Syvertson
RV-10 QB fuselage

Two different planes Phil

Phil: They are both great but two different to really compare, at least in my opinion.

One uses an expensive 4-cyl and the other uses a larger very much more expensive 6-cyl. One burns lots of gas, the other burns a lot more gas than, lots of gas. (I know you can lean your 540 and throttle back, but cruise at same speed, a 540 is thirsty.)

Do you need to haul 4 seats around all the time? If the answer is yes than the RV-10 is for you. There is no way around two v four seats. My feeling is if I want to fly 3 or 5 people around I will rent a C-182 or Seneca II.

Aerobatics? Forget it with one of them, buy a RV-7.

Cost? I am 100% sure a RV-10 will a significant amount more green. Check the tax situation on airplanes in your state. If the "mill rate" you pay is on value or cost of the plane, it will be the gift that keeps taking.

The answer is in your head and what kind of pilot you are and what kind of flying you want to do. The planes are totally different. Usually its a slider or tip up canopy debate or taildragger or trike. Some times folks debate RV-8 v RV-7, but the RV seven v. ten is a unique problem.

I always wanted a 10,000 sq-foot hanger with a Citation, Pitts, Super Cub on gear and floats and a RV or two of course. That is not going to happen, so one RV-7 is everything to me, which it is, just not the floats or 6 seats. I understand the desire to have one plane do it all, but aviation being what it is, there is not everything plane. There are trade offs and you will have to make that decision.

Frankly I fly solo most of the time, dual a 1/4th of the time and about once or twice a year I wish I had a 4 seater to fly. If you are a family man than the RV-10 may be the way to go. Like I said, consider flying the two seat RV-7 for fun and dual X-C, than rent the C-182 for that occasional sightseeing flight or cross country to see the kid graduate college with that Art History Degree. :( (no offense to those who majored in art history.)

The "sport plane" mission or "total performance" as Van's coined was fast X-C travel, short fields, Acro and fantastic handing. The RV-10 is still total performance buy biased more to the X-C and clearly not Acro. The solution may be a 4 seat RV-6 (recent thread on VAF).

You want to choose between a Porsche 911 and nice Mercedes. Both very nice. One I want to take out on a weekend trip with some curvy back roads. The other I want to take on a long trip to Florida and Disney World with the "kids" or exotic dancer friends, as the case may be. :rolleyes:

Before the flaming starts, the RV-10 is sporty and fast, but it is not going to handle as well as the RV-7 or be as fast. (I know the, "why can't you do acro in a RV-10", thread is coming soon.)

The RV-7 will do it ALL on less gas (except all two more butts). On the other hand the RV-7 is still great for X-C traveling for two and reasonable bags. (It's fun teaching some woman, not all, they can go for a week on one small bag. :rolleyes: ) I traveled all over in my old RV-4 with the girlfriend, including camping gear!

P.S.: Take off landing distance? If you are into short mountain grass strips, a super light RV-7 with a big engine will be better than the dash ten.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
... but the RV seven v. ten is a unique problem.

Thanks for the info.... Yeah, I agree it's a unique problem too. Right now, we fly cross countries in a C-182. It's great because it can carry my wife and we still have room for our two four legged flying buddys + all the X-mas presents my wife can buy. I end up looking like Santa at 7500 ft. :D :D

There's little doubt the 7 will come in less expensive. So heres the main reason between the 7 v 10.

1) Right now, it's just me and my wife - no kids. She's determined to have kids, but I'm still up in the air. By the time the kit is completed, if things get done her way - We'll have a mini-me running around the house.

Which brings me to point #2.
She needs to be included in the decision. If she doesn't feel like she's included, the plane will never leave the ground. :D :D

Personally, I can live with either one. But I don't want to be stuck with a very nice plane and a very angry wife. I'd rather have a happy wife and a plane that makes both of us happy.....

So that's the real story behind the story.

Thanks Dave!!! I won't be able to make it out there for another week or so, but I'd really enjoy to opportunity to stop by!

I'll send you a PM.

Phil

SWRFI is this weekend at Hondo

I'm sure you'll see lots of RV's of all types, and Vans has brought the -10 the last couple of years.