UnPossible

Well Known Member
I've finally resolved my mounting issues with the horizontal stab and now have new issues with the vertical stab.

I've followed the blue print and have exactly 7-11/32" between the top of the F-718 Longeron and the top of the lower Hinge bracket.

Next I clamped the F-781 to the H Stab, using the 3/8" measurement from the bottom of the plate to the center of the holes on the HStab.

Here comes the problem. When I raise the front Spar of the V Stab up high enough to get all three rudder hinges in alignment, I do not have sufficent edge clearance for the rivets attaching F-781 to the VStab (VS-702). (If I would have waited to trim off the 5/8" indicated on the plans I wouldn't have this problem)

j81c9k.jpg

Additionally, the front of the bottom skin of the V Stab sits a bit (~1/4") higher than the fuselage skin. Looking at other pictures I've found on VAF, this appears a bit high.

2qtbiba.jpg

I called Vans and their best suggestion was to order some 063 and make a longer F-781 myself..... while I can certainly do that, I thought that I'd check with the experts on VAF to see if there was a different solution that I'm missing.

Thanks again for your help and patience,
Jason

I had a similar problem and had to make a custom attach plate (F-781). The pre-drilled holes in the stock part did not give adequate edge distance on the VS.

Making the part was actually pretty easy.... once I got the 063 from Vans.

I agree that the instruction to trim 5/8's off the VS was also the source of my problem.