utawl

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. My name is Kevern Brown, I fly 340-600 Airbuses for a major airline, part owner of a flight school and a maintenance engineer.

I have a question, can a RV7A still in kit form, fuselage partly built be converted to an RV7 taildragger. The finishing kit still needs to be bought.

All the best,

Kevern

convert

yes i just purchased a rv-6a and ordered kit from Vans to make rv-6 be sure to order 1/14 flate stock about 40 inches to make horz rear mount its not included in kit
bob

Can you convert a flying 6A or a 7A?

How difficult is it too convert a flying 6A or 7A to a tail dragger?

How difficult is it too convert a flying 6A or 7A to a tail dragger?

Replacing engine mount and installing tail wheel kit are the main issues. There may be some weight and balance issues if you dont remove the A's gear mounts and move battery to firewall. Of coarse there are things like brakes and holes left behind. Hope you have other reasons to convert than being a "Tail Wheeler". Once you've ground looped you will know why they put the wheel up front.

Built 6A, 7 and building a 6. Love flying both

Not the case for me.

Not a problem and Van's can email you the part switch out list... thay have it ready to go. :)

When I converted my -7A in February Vans did not have such a list. What they had were the unique sub-kits that are specific to the taildragger or nosewheel version. This means that any parts that are common in the TW or NW (i.e. fuel lines, bolts, bar stock, etc.) fuselage kit are not included. Here is what I remember:

Missing:
- F-711C HS attach bar stock
- F-782D angle mount for new spar cover
- Rudder control horn.
- 90 deg AN fittings for brake lines where they penetrate firewall.
- Al brake and fuel tube
- fairings (the gear on the -7 was longer, but I was able to get my old leg fairings to work with a little modification)
- misc hardware and rivets ( ihad most of this in my spare's)
- Lot's of other stuff that you will likely want, but not necessarily need (i.e. new wing intersect fairings and rubber seal, -3 and -4 fiber lock nuts, heat shield foil for inside the cowl, electrical connectors if you cut wires, new lock washers for exhaust, proseal for sealing old gear cover plates over old gear holes if you want.

Not needed:
- lots of bolts
- axle nuts
- brake mount flange
- Tailwheel parts - if you go with aftermarket fork and linkage

Your best bet is to get the list of parts in the unique sub kits that Vans has (they will email to you) and sit down with the builders manual and plans to check all the parts. The F-711C bar can be tapered for the -7A, but you need to leave the material if your going to a -7 to support the tailwheel weldment. I think the quick build kits have untapered bars so they can be built up either way. Something to check...

Greg

Thanks, I have flown the One Design, the Pitts,Extra the 8,7,6 and the Super Decathlon amongst others, I just love flying tailwheel aircraft.

Thanks for the input, I am busy going through all the motions to ultimately come to a decision.

Regards,

Kevern