Alex44

I understand the tip up provides better visibility...is it also the easier and least expensive route? Thanks for your replies.

Alex

I believe the cost is the same. Each canopy has it's difficult areas of construction. They are totally different areas of difficulties but approximately equal.
You should decide because of which you prefer. Those of us with tip-ups wouldn't trade. And those with sliders wouldn't either.

Thanks , I did just go and read through that thread. And....sorry for asking it again...seems to be a personal choice and many have their strong opinions. I will figure it out!

Alex

Reality

The tip up owners often say it is personal preference. The slider folks (like me) just smile because we did it the correct way!

They key is- you really need to fly (or at least sit in) an example of each so that you'll have the necessary data to make a decision. Of course, included with each flight will be a dissertation on the benefits of that particular design, included at no charge.

Alex,

I was leaning toward the slider, until I got my one and only ride in an RV-7. I flew Vans RV-7 at the factory, and it has the tip-up. I was impressed with the visibility, but had never sat in one with a slider to compare. After we landed, I asked to sit in their RV-9 that does have a slider, just to make the comparison and was shocked to see how much the slider's window frame blocked my view. I commented to Van's pilot (who shall remain nameless) that I really liked the visibility of the tip-up, but would miss the ventilation the slider would provide during taxi. He responded, that very little flight time is spent taxiing and much more would be spent in the air, looking around the windshield frame. He built and flies an RV-6 with the slider, and after having to do several repairs/upgrades behind his panel, that alone would make his next build a tip-up. I'm only building my wings, but at this point, I plan on building a tip-up airplane. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Brad

Alex,

I was leaning toward the slider, until I got my one and only ride in an RV-7. I flew Vans RV-7 at the factory, and it has the tip-up. I was impressed with the visibility, but had never sat in one with a slider to compare. After we landed, I asked to sit in their RV-9 that does have a slider, just to make the comparison and was shocked to see how much the slider's window frame blocked my view. I commented to Van's pilot (who shall remain nameless) that I really liked the visibility of the tip-up, but would miss the ventilation the slider would provide during taxi. He responded, that very little flight time is spent taxiing and much more would be spent in the air, looking around the windshield frame. He built and flies an RV-6 with the slider, and after having to do several repairs/upgrades behind his panel, that alone would make his next build a tip-up. I'm only building my wings, but at this point, I plan on building a tip-up airplane. Just my two cents. Good luck.

And the usual rebuttal from guys like me who have been around RV's for some 15 years. We still prefer sliders! I have flown both. I flew Van's tip up at Oshkosh many years ago.............and immediately knew the slider was for me. I don't like being penned up in a sweating green house on hot summer days feeling claustrophobic and the immediate need to gasp for air. A slider can be quickly opened for a cool fresh breeze from the prop after landing, and stay open throughout the taxi & take off checks. Tip ups may be okay for the arctic & Alaska though! :D

As to that frame, I don't even notice... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

this really is never ending

I live in Georgia. Gets kinda hot here. I built the tipup for the vis, and I was worried about the heat. I flew over 100 hours through spring and summer, and I was pleasantly surprised that heat was not that bad an issue. When I land, I crack the tipup and it rests in the cracked position on the handle. I'm sure the sliders are breezier, but a cracked tip-up still lets in enough breeze to keep you from melting.

Everyone who rides in my -7 has made comments on the wide open view that the tipup provides. The view is usually the first thing they get excited about. It contributes greatly to the big wow, first rv experience.

There's no wrong answer. I also love my tailwheel, and I primed. :)

Enjoy the build.

And the usual rebuttal from guys like me who have been around RV's for some 15 years. We still prefer sliders! I have flown both. I flew Van's tip up at Oshkosh many years ago.............and immediately knew the slider was for me. I don't like being penned up in a sweating green house on hot summer days feeling claustrophobic and the immediate need to gasp for air. A slider can be quickly opened for a cool fresh breeze from the prop after landing, and stay open throughout the taxi & take off checks. Tip ups may be okay for the arctic & Alaska though! :D

As to that frame, I don't even notice... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

As Larry has stated many times on this forum, he has a preference for the slider. ;)

Yep, it gets hot in Salt Lake City. But here in the Deep South, we not only have heat but oppressive humidity for several months each year. So far, I haven't been reduced to gasping claustrophobicly for air in the ten years I've been flying my RV-6. On the days with temps in the 90's with similar humidity, the tipup is propped open in taxi position until the mag check. Upon landing, the canopy can be propped open once we reach taxi speed while still on the runway.

The tipup canopy propped open with the safety latch provides ample ventilation in the cabin during ground ops. There may be other considerations when chosing a canopy, but ground ventilation need not be a deciding factor.

Last edited:
I have survived my tip-up in Texas for almost 17 years. Never gasped for air, never sweated profusely, and STILL would not trade for a slider!
Of course, I also prefer manual flaps and manual trim, so what do I know?

I am just in process of changing all of my pitot/static fittings and I sure am glad I have the tip up. Access is no issue at all. Like Mel and others, I live in Sacramento, and did not have any issue with the heat, just let the canopy rest/sit on the handle and you get plenty of air inside.

Good luck

Of course, I also prefer manual flaps and manual trim, so what do I know?

Not much...............because you have a fixed prop too! :D

But kidding aside, I did get the traffic monitoring device based on your recommendations, as well as having a lot of respect for the vast amount of knowlege you put forth on this forum. :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A/ Lyc 0360/ Harzell CS/ Slider/ elec. pitch & roll trim

I am just in process of changing all of my pitot/static fittings and I sure am glad I have the tip up. Access is no issue at all. Like Mel and others, I live in Sacramento, and did not have any issue with the heat, just let the canopy rest/sit on the handle and you get plenty of air inside.

On the other hand, my slider survived a monsoon rain storm with no water getting into the panel area. No water in the cockpit either.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

No dog in the fight

I prefer a tandem silder but that's another thread. My question for you tip up guys is what about the water problem? I have a famous tip up in the hanger that has ruined some very expensive radios with water running past the canopy seal.

Returning to the starting post for a minute...

... I went tip-up for three reasons: 1) I wanted the fwd visibility, 2) I wanted access to the back of the panel, and 3) I heard it was easier than the slider due to the lack of rear skirt issues. I'm still very pleased with my decision, though after having just finished the canopy construction, I'm convinced the tip-up is no easier to build that the slider. As Mel said, just a different set of challenges.

I prefer a tandem silder but that's another thread. My question for you tip up guys is what about the water problem? I have a famous tip up in the hanger that has ruined some very expensive radios with water running past the canopy seal.

The key here is to install the canopy seal correctly and never open the tip-up canopy until you have wiped off any standing water or dew. My rather expensive all glass instrumentation has survived parked out in the rain at Oshkosh, Sun 'N' Fun and other locations. If you are really paranoid, you can put a strip of blue painters tape along the forward seam of the canopy and fuselage while parked.

Like Steve said, a good seal in the front will do the job, of course depending on how well/close the canopy was built. On my to Osckosh, we got into a pretty good rain and no water inside the cabin at all. I wash mine with very good pressure hose and I get no water inside.

My tip-up has been around for a number of years. I DO NOT HAVE A WATER LEAKAGE PROBLEM!

Thanks guys for the opinions. Seems I opened a can of worms here, lol. I will get it figured out when I cross that bridge. Ordering plans and tool box kit tomorrow.

Alex

Seal?

Mehrdad, What type of seal do you have? I got caught in a downpour once and temporarily lost all radios and nav aids on the return flight. All came back on their own after drying out except the Garmin 300 XL. I replaced the factory seal with another, and now use the canopy cover all the time and the blue painter's tape.
Mark

I believe it is called EPDM (P seal) and home depot carries it. Mine first leaked as well a little then I pulled the canopy off to be able to apply it well and I end up using two different thickness, thinner seal in the middle and thicker on each side where it curves. I have also covered over the slot that the canopy hinge goes thru and so far have got zero water after washing it or flying in the rain.