waveflyer

I have only ever flown my own RV7A so I have nothing to compare it with.

Taxying with a setting just above tick over gives a little rudder authority but the aircraft still tends to steer left which requires frequent dabs of the right brake to keep it straight. At tick over the left bias is more pronounced. I have never regarded this as an issue.

New brake pads have just been fitted at about 120 hours and I was surprised that the rhs was only slightly more worn than the lhs. No significant difference.

I have recently flown with another experienced RV pilot (mainly tail wheel) and he was surprised at the left hand bias.

In fact he went on to say that the aircraft in the circumstances I have described should steer straight.

I would appreciate the view of other pilots please, do all 7A's pull left?

Last edited:
I have only ever flown my own RV so I have nothing to compare it with.

Taxying with a setting just above tick over gives a little rudder authority but the aircraft still tends to steer left which requires frequent dabs of the right brake to keep it straight. At tick over the left bias is more pronounced. I have never regarded this as an issue.

New brake pads have just been fitted at about 120 hours and I was surprised that the rhs was only slightly more worn than the lhs. No significant difference.

I have recently flown with another experienced RV pilot (mainly tail wheel) and he was surprised at the left hand bias.

In fact he went on to say that the aircraft in the circumstances I have described should steer straight.

I have my own opinion but I would appreciate the view of other 7A pilots please.

I've noticed the same thing...and if I'm not careful, I'll find myself riding the right brake (and creating a ton of brake dust as evidenced when I pull the wheel pants off to check tire pressure).

I don't know if it's my weight on the left side, some sort of engine torque effect, slipstream around the airframe hitting the rudder or what have you, but it's definitely there.

In transition training with Mike, he did a demonstration to build confidence. We throttled on, got a little speed (just short of able to lift the tail), back to idle then feet off the rudder - it tracked straight down the runway. No seeming tendency one way or the other. Another plane example.
We did have two in the RV7, and fuel was nearly balanced.

I find that taxiing to the runway usually involves taxiing downwind, with perhaps a slight crosswind, or worse. That seems to affect which brake I might have to use. The tailwind seems to affect the airplane a lot more than a headwind.

Just one observation.

In transition training with Mike, he did a demonstration to build confidence. We throttled on, got a little speed (just short of able to lift the tail), back to idle then feet off the rudder - it tracked straight down the runway. No seeming tendency one way or the other. Another plane example.
We did have two in the RV7, and fuel was nearly balanced.

But...that was a 7. We're talking 7A here. Might be differences in turning tendencies, eh?