Lemmingman

Well Known Member
On the 7A and 9A the parts WD-721 and WD-921, respectively, would seem to cause interference with your legs. These are the landing gear mounts. Maybe it is more of a comfort issue, not interference per se.

I've taken one flight each in the 7a and 9a. I remember the 9a mount hitting me in the back of the knee, and there was a bit of shifting to get comfortable in the right seat. Was this a problem with your project? How did you overcome it? If you built a 7 or 9 instead, was it a part of your decision?

Lemmingman,

I have only sat in the factory 7A, just a few weeks ago. The gear mount was not an issue for me. I am 6 feet tall and I wonder how each person may be affected differently depending on body type. I have no experience with the 9A.

I started with a 7A build, but have since changed to the 7. There are many posts regarding potential nose gear issues, etc., and I don't want to hijack your post to another series on that topic.

To me, it will be nice to have the simplicity and extra room offered by the taildraggers. Even if the gear mount did not hit my leg, I would appreciate the room for other options.

Besides: Less fiberglass work with TD, lower cowl installation/removal is easier, less build time, less weight, etc.

The 7 and 9 are less expensive kits, too.

I think if you didn't have covers on the gear mounts (mine are enclosed in fitted carpet) then the corner of the mount may hit the back of your leg a little and be uncomfortable. I have never noticed it and the wife has never mentioned it either (she's short 5'1). You do lose just a tad of leg room but I can't really pull my foot back that far anyway or my knee would be up against the instr panel.

My 6A is about the same dimension wise. The mounts have never been a problem. I'm 6' 1", and my wife is 5' 5". She says she knows they are there, but hasn't complained. Things I notice more, is loosing an inch or so on the sides for upholstered panels, and the lack of knee room when installing center consoles.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

consider a tail dragger...

one of the reasons i went with a tail dragger configuration was to keep the limited floor space open... no interference with your legs stretched out and it is much roomier when you bring your legs back towards the spar in flight for a change in position without the gear leg structure.

Generally, if you adjust the seat to position for your self in a way that gives you full control of the brakes and rudder throughout the full travel of the rudder pedals, you will not ever make contact with the landing gear mount (at least I never have in 1300 hrs of flying them)

If you just hop into an "A" model with out making any specific seat position or cushion adjustments (as you would do if you were going to be the pilot in command), it is very possible you would make contact. Especially if the seat was positioned way aft without the cushion booster installed and you are a bit smaller person. This would make your legs just about straight while trying to reach the rudder pedals and it would be very likely that your leg could contact the gear mount. This is not how most people who fly RV's, position them selves.

Besides: Less fiberglass work with TD, lower cowl installation/removal is easier, less build time, less weight, etc.

The 7 and 9 are less expensive kits, too.

I agree with all of your points except one.
The cowl on an "A" model does have a little bit more stuff (marginally since there are two leg intersection fairings instead of one) to take apart, but once you have everything ready to go, the tri-gear lower cowl is actually easier to remove and install because of the leg fairings on the tail-dragger main gear legs having an interference with the rear edge of the sides of the lower cowl as you lower it down to clear the spinner.

I have taken only one ride in an RV and it was in a 7A slider. At the time I had not read all of the debate about nose wheel vs tail wheel and slider vs tip up. I enjoyed the flight and it confirmed my decision to build an RV. The only two negative things (very small) that came from the flight was that I did not like the bow on the slider and the gear towers in the cabin really bothered me when I tried to move my legs around (I am 5'8"). Just my observations.:D