tegwilym

From the instructions, surfing the builder sites, and this forum, I do understand that the rivets for the rear horizontal spar are a little shorter, but Van's says they are fine. I don't mind if they aren't perfect, I trust Van's, but here is my question:

Since the rivets listed are a little short, do I:
1) Squash it wider to the proper diameter on the gauge?
2) Squash it taller, so it fits the height on the -4 shop gauge?

My vote is #2 since there is a little more "meat" holding things, but I'm just a little confused. I did two rivets with the pneumatic squeezer, but then stopped thinking I better check with others before I go wrong

What do you think guys? :confused:

Thanks!

Tom
http://www.mykitlog.com/tomtraci/

Last edited:
I'd try to split the difference, but err toward #1.
When the load is mostly shear you want to drive the rivet enough that the shank expands in the radial direction to completely fill the hole.

I'd just put in a half size bigger rivet. You'll run into a lot of areas like this. Plus, if you are priming metal then some areas will have larger distances between parts because of the thickness of the primer. This may require a longer rivet. Just don't go to long and topple the rivet.

Thanks for the advice. I did email Van's the question and got a reply the other day. As alwasy, they had some great advice and set me this table.

It seems that the gauge is the optimal width/depth but there is tolerance range that is also accepable. I hope this table is useful to other builders, so here it is!

Tom

rivet-tolerance.PNG

Does either way fall within these specs posted here: http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/Specs.htm

Thanks for the advice. I did email Van's the question and got a reply the other day. As alwasy, they had some great advice and set me this table.

It seems that the gauge is the optimal width/depth but there is tolerance range that is also accepable. I hope this table is useful to other builders, so here it is!

Tom

rivet-tolerance.PNG

For future reference, the information in the table is available in the MIL Spec document referenced in the 2nd post of this thread.