At least in my case, if you tried that the bolt end would hit the firewall; remember, in order to have a few threads showing, that end will stick out farther than the head of the bolt. In fact, with mine, there wouldn't even be clearance for just the bolt head without the hole in the firewall. Certainly no way to get a wrench in there and tighten it.

It really isn't much trouble to make that hole, and would probably be more effort to effectively torque that nut even if you could manage to get it in place.

Chris

Nose Gear bolt

Can the bolt be inserted from above and forget about drilling a hole in firewall?

Yes! but you will probably have to create an indentation in the firewall. I used a rounded off 1" wood dowel that I hit with a hammer.... with no hole in the firewall...

Yes. Same mount as my 6... Start the nut as soon as there is enough thread. Hold the nut in place as you tap the bolt down. No firewall pounding needed.

When putting the bolt in from the top, use an all metal lock nut as well, they are smaller, and will fit under the mount more readily. The nut has to be started just as the bolt is coming through. Use washers as necessary to keep the threads out of the mount.

Nose gear bolt

Have taper pinned 2 "A" models and put the pin in from the top. The rounded end of a broom handle and a dead blow hammer makes a dandy tool to form a dent in the soft firewall for the nut. Work slow and from both sides till it looks right.

Don B

RV 9 Rebiuld in Progress

Remember, this bolt can come loose and is on your annual check list to put a wrench on it. If it is loose can you tighten it? if it comes loose again, can you replace it? Now is the time to think about this bolt. They have failed, and resulted in moderate to significant damage (nose over).

There is a well written paper on the gear and solutions. I compiled it from a VAF post and will send it to you. Send me your email address by PM/email.

They have failed, and resulted in moderate to significant damage (nose over).

I am not aware of any nose over (I assume that means the same as flip over inverted) that was caused by a broken nose gear leg bolt.
Nose down... yes for sure with resulting prop and possibly engine damage.

It is highly likely that all nose gear leg bolt failures to date were caused by incorrectly installed Nose Stop Flanges as detailed in THIS S.B.

Regardless, the advice to make this bolt easily serviceable is a good one (and the primary reason the plans specify the hole in the firewall and installation of the bolt from bottom up).