scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Could use some advice from the VAF.

As I reported, my son and I have finished the tail feathers on our 7A and have rolled the QB wings into the shop. However, I find I have really been napping. I have not selected lights, pitot, other doodads that must be installed *and wired* during this phase of construction.

The Question: What components SHOULD I select/purchase for install (or at least for provision) during the QB wings build?

I figure at least the following:
- Nav, strobe lights (I'm going Aero LED in the tip recesses)
- Landing/taxi lights (I'm going leading edge HID split duty in each wing)
- Heated pitot (I'm definitely going heated)

Unsure of:
- compass sensor (can go in fuselage?)
- anything else?

My apologies if this was in a previous thread, but I couldn't find it.

Hi Sid & Houston!

Sounds like you just need to install some raceways (conduit) in the wing for the electrical stuff. Blow a pull string in each raceways so it'll make installing wiring easy.

I just want to say a couple of things:

I hope Houston is enjoying the build. What a wonderful father-son project!

You're gonna LOVE this plane. Although I can't tell you how a -7 flies, my -9A is absolutely delightful to fly - got about 47 hours on it now. I think the -7 will be even more fun.

Good luck & keep building!

Dave
-9A

Oder of wing build

Sid,
Dave gave you good advice. I have another suggestion to make. I would suggest that you start working on your wing control surfaces [flaps and ailerons] first. I say this because you have just finished your rudder and elevators. I found it easier to make the flaps and ailerons while the experience of making the empennage control surfaces was fresh in my mind. Just a suggestion.
Charlie

Thanks all

The drawstring approach will be the money-maker.

Dave,
Houston said it's really cool knowing there's an aircraft flying (and flying well) that he helped build. Thanks for the update.

I figure at least the following:
- Nav, strobe lights (I'm going Aero LED in the tip recesses)
- Landing/taxi lights (I'm going leading edge HID split duty in each wing)
- Heated pitot (I'm definitely going heated)

Unsure of:
- compass sensor (can go in fuselage?)
- anything else?

Good question, a buddy and I both building our -9As had to figure this out ourselves.

Sounds like you've already decided most of the basic configuration for your plane: Night capabable, maybe IFR, maybe glass panel from what you list above.

Decide which manufacturer of glass panel you'll use. I went with Dynon, and went with their heated pitot/AOA. That meant getting a 3rd party mount bracket (last time I looked at this there were two that were popular).

You'll probably want an autopilot. Again you need to decide which company. Tru-Trak was mentioned but Dynon makes one too which now seems to be mature. You'll need to mount the bracket and linkages in the wing while it's open.

Consider an in-wing VOR and/or comm antenna. I went with the Archer VOR antenna in a wingtip. I'm also going to put an APRS antenna in the other wingtip.

Almost certainly you want some conduit to run the cabling. I used plastic brackets from TerminalTown to hang a length of PVC irrigation pipe down the wing. Fairly easy, you only have to drill small holes to rivet the brackets.

See www.mykitlog.com or search the entire kitlog website for more examples.

Great gouge

Bruce and Bugsy2,
I think that nails it. I'm putting a Archer comm antenna in the left wingtip and nav in the right. I was already leaning toward Dynon, so throwing the autopilot servo in the right wing is perfect...offsets the heated pitot in the left side. Duck's HID leading edge lights both sides (landing left, taxi right). AeroLED in the wingtip recesses.

Bugsy2,
I saw you seperated the comm lines from the power lines in your kitlog. Did you run the comm lines grommet-to-grommet in the seperate holes, and keep your power in the 1/2 inch PVC?

Sid,

All good advice so far on this thread. Also read this FAQ off of the Van's website for info on running those conduits. In fact boomark the Van's Construction FAQ and refer to it often...

http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_Wiring.pdf

Now, think "Mission Objective" regarding any additional equipment on the aircraft, and its correllary "Keep it Light".

Will you be putting an Advanced Flight AOA system in it? If so, that requires a port in either wing near the tip. Most all of this 'stuff' can be retrofitted to an existing wing if necessary, but obviously easier during the initial build.
Enjoy!:D

The plan...so far

Sam, thanks, good call.

Joe,
Big thanks. The .pdf on wire holes is great to have, and WILCO on checking back with the FAQs. As for the Advanced...probably not, since I'm leaning more toward Dynon, but I can be convinced (still early to lock in configurations).