That's a real shame. This type of accident is my biggest concern; one that you should be able to walk away from but get too banged up to do so. I really wish the Amsafe inflatable belts were available for RVs.

-Rick

Last edited:
According to the FAA N number it was powered by a Rotax engine. It also says "see Bombadier"?

sirlegin said:
According to the FAA N number it was powered by a Rotax engine. It also says "see Bombadier"?
Bombardier is the parent company of Rotax.

RV 7A Crash

Hey Guys,
I knew Bob. Great guy and would talk your ear off if you asked him a question regarding building RV's. His plane was equiped with a lycoming engine and constant speed prop. Not sure why anything would point toward a Rotax engine. At this time it appears he lost power. No one knows yet why. Bob's closer RV friends in time may be willing to give what details they know and may post some personal things about Bob. I do know he was married and has a grown daughter.
We are all in shock over the crash. Really hitting home.
Doug Brinlee

Norman Crash

Sad outcome for what should have been a normal flight. This is why I use a Hooker 5 point belt and always fly with a helment. This crash looked survivable. Roger Moore RV4DRVR

Very sad! Must have been horrifying for his friends in the air. Prayers for the family and friends.

Roberta

I would caution against detrmining a crash is survivable based only on the condition of the wreckage.

A crumpled up airplane doesn't mean a crash is not survivable; it means that a whole lot of energy was dissipated by the airplane. Similarly, wreckage that is not crumpled up means a whole lot of energy wasn't dissipated by the fuselage.

I remember Rod Machado -- I think it was Machado -- commenting that the longer a plane travels from impact to stopping point, the more survivable a crash is.

So I don't necessarily think the tragedy here is a testimony to this seat belt combination or that. I think it's a testimony to what happens when the human body absorbs the energy.

That Dale Earnhardt crash looked survivable. It wasn't.

From the news video it looks like he did a good job of avoiding things on the ground. I bet that was a factor in how the plane came down. My condolences to the families.

WHAT TYPE

Roger Moore said:
Sad outcome for what should have been a normal flight. This is why I use a Hooker 5 point belt and always fly with a helment. This crash looked survivable. Roger Moore RV4DRVR
what type of helment?. that seems alittle much but the military seems to think its a good idea. i just dont know if i could do that and not for the coolness but the comfort level. i already upped to the hooker harnesses with crotch strap. i would like to know if BOB had the 5 pt harness.

N79104 & N159MA

First off, Bob's airplane was based in my hanger at my house & I flew it often. It had no unusual charicteristics. The airplane had a Penn Yan Aero IO360 C/S prop. It was a new engine when installed, he had approx. 100 hrs. TTAE. He had a Blue Mountain EFIS. Eliminate the Rotax garbage!!! He had the 4-pt seat belts.
He, my brother, & myself were a flight of 3 from 2OK2 to KOUN, approx 20 sm. Bob has 3 grown daughters & a wife. His passenger has 2 grown sons & a wife. They were both close, personal friends of mine & my brother ( hangers at my house also). They will be missed greatly by many at Twin Lakes.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 builder
wings complete

Our Sympathy on the loss..

Please accept our sympathy on the loss of your friend! This could happen to any of us at any time. Please let the family know that our thoughts and prayers are with them!

Prayers

What a sad, sad time. Marshall, our family will pray for your friends' survivors, in the hope that they'll find some consolation.

Condolences,

Marshall,

If you need anything at all don't hesitate to ask.

Kindest,
Doug

RV10Man said:
snip... They were both close, personal friends of mine & my brother ( hangers at my house also). They will be missed greatly by many at Twin Lakes.
Marshall Alexander
RV10 builder
wings complete

Condolences

Marshall,
In December 1999, our EAA chapter lost our Treasurer in a similar type crash, flying to breakfast with friends, and due to engine problems, he didn't make it to the airport. He lived a few hours but passed away at the hospital.
Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Sincerely,
Don Hull

That really is sad. It broke my heart to see the story on the OKC newspaper this weekend.

Last weekend, I flew out of Westheimer on a return trip to Houston.

Our prayers are with their family and friends.

Phil

This is certainly a sad story. It hits close to home, as these gentlemen were the same age as me, and as I look at pictures of the crash site, the airplane even looks like my unpainted 6A.

Deepest condolences to family and friends.

Sadly,

Last edited:
kindness

All the kind words are very much appreciated.
We must all continue to remember this can happen to any one of us at any time. I know Bob & Paul will want us to remember them, but to continue with our building & flying.
I hope no one thinks I'm hard hearted, but I tend to feel a little humor has some consolation in itself. With that being said, I have tell you that I had a "chuckling" thought later Saturday afternoon. I know Paul would do just about anything to be home in time to watch OU play football on tv. Well, they were playing Nebraska Saturday evening & Paul would have been glued to the tv. My thought was he had the best seat in the house.
Thanks again.
Services for Paul are at Havenbrook Funeral Chapel in Norman at 2:00 today.
Services for Bob are at Barnes & Johnson Funeral home in Midwest City, at 6:00 pm tomorrow (Wednesday).

Bob will be missed

Bob Noble could not be described in a few words. He was the most passionate RV builder I had seen in many years. He used to drive this old Nissan Maxima with 350,000 miles from Oklahoma just for a couple of hours of training with me. He used to say ? any day now I will have this car broken in?. He made that trip about three times; Drive south in the morning, fly, and drive back North in the afternoon.
He was very smooth RV pilot.
I had to opportunity the get to know Bob and boy he will be missed.

My condolences to the Family and friends.

I am saddened by this

I had the pleasure of helping Bob, Mitchell and the others at Marshal's hangar hang Bob's brand new Penn Yann Aero 360 on his firewall for the first time one day last year. I had just purchased my RV9A kit and was very excited to have the opportunity to socialize with that great bunch of guys. I was very impressed with the work Bob had done to that point on his plane and was in awe at being around all the RV metal that was in that hangar. I continue to think about that day often. I recall thinking that night that I would be very happy whenever I get to that point in my own building process.

That was the one and only time I had talked with Bob. I had hoped to get back out there to spend more time with him and the others in that group but it never happened. I shall always be saddened that I will now be unable to talk again with Bob.

Letter from passengers son (MUST READ)

Condolences to all
Subject: [ChickashaWings] A great man

I'm sure you all have heard about it, but might not know how close to home
it hit for me. I feel like I need to tell someone about it, but can't
quite muster the strength to call....

Early on the morning of December 2nd, 2006. My father awoke in his home
which he built with his own blood sweat and tears for his loving wife
Peggy. He turned to her after dressing for the day ahead and told her he
was going, as he did almost every Saturday morning, to fly to Ponca City
with the friends and neighbors which he had grown quite fond of in the
last few years of his life. He arrived at Twin Lakes Airport, 2OK2 as you
all might know it, and drank a cup of coffee while waiting to hear that
the weather in Ponca might clear up, I'm sure excited about the trip
ahead. After hearing that the weather in Ponca was still not VFR at about
8:00 o'clock my father Paul Black, and Bob Noble, his relatively new but
very good friend, pulled N216RV out of the hangar and behind Mitchell
Alexander in his RV-9A and Marshall Alexander in his Cessna 172, taxied
the RV-7A to the end of the runway at Twin Lakes to head for Westheimer
for breakfast at Ozzies Diner. I'm sure there wa
s a smile on both of their faces, the good ole "RV Grin" as it is known,
as the throttle was advanced and the airplane left the earth for the last
time. The flight of three had been cleared to land at Westheimer around
8:40am and as the first two aircraft touched down and taxied in they knew
something was wrong when the third airplane was not close behind.

The details of the accident are still not very clear to me. Some eye
witness reports claim that the airplane seemed to "wag it's tail from side
to side" before "falling". Yet another says the engine sputtered as the
plane descended and the pilot must have been trying to avoid the
interstate and close by buildings and houses. What I do know is that the
airplane, it's pilot, and it's only passenger, my father, all came to rest
at 8:45am in an open field near interstate 35 and Main street in Norman,
Oklahoma on December 2nd, 2006.

From news photographs and video it is apparent that the airplane struck
the ground nose down collapsing all three landing gear below it. The
propeller departed the airplane, the blades bent to the rear, which I have
recently learned at my new job with McCauley usually means the engine was
not at a high RPM. The flaps were extended to what looked like full
deployment. This puzzles me, because it seems awfully early to extend
flaps when on almost a mile final, especially knowing Bob. And if
attempting to glide to a field, flaps would only be desired if trying to
gain a little extra float to make a field. This may very well be the case
since it appears that the airplane crossed the interstate at about tree
height and as if to avoid hitting houses on the other side of the field
came to an abrupt stop in the field, killing both men instantly.

My only comfort comes in knowing that my father spent the last few years
of his life with a loving family, a tolerable job that although it didn't
pay what he once made for a salary it was not near as stressful, and that
he came to rediscover a hobby which he dearly loved. I am glad he was able
to leave this earth doing something which he loved so much and got so much
satisfaction from. I'm sure if he could tell us his only regrets would be
not being able to be with his family a little longer and tell them all
that he loved them so much.

I know you all will be thinking of us, and I appreciate it dearly. Our
family is very busy with arrangements and I do not know when the service
will be, but I will try to let everyone know. I am confident that both men
did whatever they could to avoid this tradgedy and as we all know, there
is a risk in everything we do. As I'm sure Paul and Bob would want, we
must all keep flying, keeping them in mind as a reminder of how dangerous
this hobby of ours can be.

Be safe, and be grateful for the time we all still have,

Michael Black

Bob Noble

Hey Guys and Gals,
I first met Bob years ago when his plane was still in his garage. He was dreaming of the day when the Blue Mountain would be installed and bummed because of one little smiley on one wing I would have never noticed had he not pointed it out.
Bob had a huge smile and was always kind enough to answer my questions and then some. Last time I saw Bob was with my son in Marshall Alexander's hanger. David wanted to see the plane. I was concerned that I was taking too much of his time. If we were Bob sure did not show it. I think he would have let us stay all evening. It was that way every time I met with him or even talked over the phone.
I have known Marshall and Mitchell Alexander for 25 years. Both are very close friends of Bob and flew his plane often. Greatest bunch of guys you could ever know. When I saw on tv the plane sitting on the ground in that field I did not know who was in it but knew I knew someone in the plane. I first thought thank God, it does not look that bad, they must be ok. I was wrong. I did not know Paul, Bobs passenger but from what I hear was one great guy.
Suppose I am writing this to just remind everyone to enjoy your family and friends every day. Life is wonderful. What makes it that way are our friends and family. Slow down just a bit and remimber that.
Take care,
Doug