hesty

I am considering a MT 3-blade prop in my build and was hoping for some input from anyone that has one. I know a bit about the performance differences of the MT 3-blade versus the Hartzell 2-blade, but I am more concerned about the build aspect. Specifically, how much more difficult is the install of the MT when it comes to the cowl. I am a novice builder and do not want to get over my head with a bunch of cowl/prop spacer mods. I am probably going with a cookie cutter Lycoming IO360 with horizontal induction. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Chad

MT for thee?

Hi Chad,

I don't have a MT 3 blade C/S but have helped install several. Jim Ayers who is a regular on this site is a wealth of knowledge on MT props. You being in NV, he is not too far away and can help you purchase a prop and even install it possibly.

Contact him and I'm sure he can help. His VAF callsign is RVJim, his website is: www.lessdrag.com

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Any 3 blade makes lower cowl removal a bit more difficult. You need first clock the prop with one blade straight up, then lower the cowl straight down until it clears the spinner, then work it forward while clearing the prop blades and the nose gear leg simultaneously. Not too hard but harder than a 2 blade and more things to watch so you don't scratch anything.

Sometimes with a 3 blade, it is helpful to have a bit more gap between the cowl and spinner back plate but I have seen some pretty close fits still work.

I am considering a MT 3-blade prop in my build and was hoping for some input from anyone that has one. I know a bit about the performance differences of the MT 3-blade versus the Hartzell 2-blade, but I am more concerned about the build aspect. Specifically, how much more difficult is the install of the MT when it comes to the cowl. I am a novice builder and do not want to get over my head with a bunch of cowl/prop spacer mods. I am probably going with a cookie cutter Lycoming IO360 with horizontal induction. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Chad
Chad

I have a MT prop on my lancair which I installed. I went from a couple of different props prior to the MT. The other props used a 12 inch spinner. My MT came with a 13 inch spinner (I bought it with zero time second hand from another builder). If you are ordering new, I am sure you can specify your desired dimension, but something to consider if not buying new. Easy install otherwise for me.

We put an MT onto our RV7.

Install was easy.

Spinner went on a breeze.

Fit was excellent.

No problems with removing the cowling.

Performance..............

It moves !

It may not be the fastest cruiser, but Oh Boy - you get airborne and up quick.

Only drawback - I tend not to land in full fine as the aerodynamic braking tends to be a little harsh.

No hesitations - the RV8 we are building will have another.

Oh, and it looks really nice on the ground :D

Thanks everyone. My building partner...Dad... is insisting on this prop. I wanted to make sure it is was not going to be too "outside the box" for me to handle.

I'll check with RVJim, but I'm planning on bundling with Van's to save the extra 1000. Looks like Jim's shop would be the closest for assembly though.

My typical mission for the 7A would be formation flying and local joy flights. Not too much x-country where loss of top end speed would be a big deal!

Cheers
Chad

Chad,

If you are doing formation and general aeros etc, the prop is superb. Great control etc.