jj_jetmech

Well Known Member
(RV7)To Dimple or machine CS 704,772,776?

Can anyone comment to their experience in this area when comparing these options..

VANS Fuse FAQ:
You have two options. One is to dimple all three surfaces. The builder
will find the F-704 a bit thick to take a good dimple so if the dimple is found
insufficient, lightly machine countersinking the initial dimple will improve the fit
(nesting) of the dimples of the F-776/F-772 skins. The second method is simply
to continue the process used for the four floor stiffener locations. Thus machine
countersink the combination of the F-776 skin and F-704 spar flange sufficiently
to accept the dimple of the F-772. This will work fine.

Not knowing any better, I just followed the instructions here. I machine countersunk the F-776/F-704 combinaton only at the holes for the stiffeners, and dimpled the rest. The flange of the F-704 is only 0.040 thick, and I didn't have any problem with dimpling it; same as the rear spar in the wing.

Just to add to this, if building the A model, I also MCS the areas on the outboard area under the LG weldments for the double flush rivets.

Just to add to this, if building the A model, I also MCS the areas on the outboard area under the LG weldments for the double flush rivets.

I saw that note for the A.. I'm a 7... I assume you dimpled the rest of 704, if so, no issue? Good results?

Thanks