msturgis

Well Known Member
Just wondering, what are the differences between the -7 and -8 tails? Could you use the 7 on an 8 and vise versa?

yes you can

The RV-8 rudder use to be the same as the RV-7, but they went to the larger one I think back in '02 (which I believe is the same as the RV-9 rudder?). You can definitely use the newer RV-7 rudder on the 8 (100% sure because I have chatted with Van's on this and am doing it on my 8). Dave

Just wondering, why? Is there a reason, or is it just what you have? I am just asking, not judging.

Thanks, Lance

the skins on the horizontal are different because of the narrower fuse on the -8

We've measured my -8 rudder against my buddy's -7rudder, and his is larger in all dimensions. The benefit would be more rudder control, I believe, which would be desirable in a tailwheel acft. Just my .02 cents worth.

Why

The main reason I am using the larger 7 rudder on the 8 is because I built the 8 rudder with a trim tab on it (kind of large). The more I looked at it, the more I wanted a "clean, non trim tab tail." A buddy had a 7 tail that Vans sent him (to replace his older smaller one) and he said he wasn't going to use it, so he gave it to me. Makes sense to me to have a little bigger rudder for more control, so what the heck? That's the only reason -- can't say it was fully planned or anything. Dave

The main reason I am using the larger 7 rudder on the 8 is because I built the 8 rudder with a trim tab on it (kind of large). The more I looked at it, the more I wanted a "clean, non trim tab tail." A buddy had a 7 tail that Vans sent him (to replace his older smaller one) and he said he wasn't going to use it, so he gave it to me. Makes sense to me to have a little bigger rudder for more control, so what the heck? That's the only reason -- can't say it was fully planned or anything. Dave
Dave,
Not to hijack this thread--but did you build that -8 rudder trim tab "on" or "in" the rudder? If you cut it into the rudder, I sure would like to see any pictures you have. Pls PM me if that's the case.

For crosswind control, the two different tails are mostly a "wash". Even though the larger rudder gives you more rudder authority, the extra area also increases weather vane tendencies, causing you to need more authority.
The larger rudder was primarily designed to aid in spin recovery.

Last edited:
Just wondering, why? Is there a reason, or is it just what you have? I am just asking, not judging.

Thanks, Lance

Not particular reason, just my own wondering. I knew that the 7 and 9 shared a lot of common parts, I wanted to know about the 7 vs 8.