celstar

Well Known Member
What does everyone see for a value on the RV-7 and RV-8 in the next 5 years or more. With so many being built and finished I'm wondering what that will do to the value's?:confused:

It's the economy

It's the economy, not over supply that is hurting prices.
I think prices will come up when 'recovery' happens.
You can get a good deal on an luxury item now.

I agree with Mark...

...in that prices will probably go up some. The general aviation public is fast becoming aware of the joy of RV flying, the speed and aerobatic capability make these airplanes a very popular choice. Even with the many RV's being built, there will always be a demand for them, IMO.

Regards,

Every morning over coffee I cruise Trade A Plane, Controller, and E bay.

The ASKING prices on RVS have changed very little over the last 2 years with the exception of the RV 10. RV 10 ASKING prices have dropped about 25% since they first started popping up for sale. Of course we will never know the actual sale price when they finally sell.

The only other changes I have noted are they remain for sale longer and more of them are for sale.

Most production plane asking prices have on average dropped significantly and Twins are all but being given away.

I think the attitude of most licensed pilots re: experimentals is one of skepticism relative to quality and safety, something which we all know to be a non issue. In fact I tend to think the average homebuilt is of higher quality than the average factory built plane.

I think the attitude of most licensed pilots re: experimentals is one of skepticism relative to quality and safety, something which we all know to be a non issue. In fact I tend to think the average homebuilt is of higher quality than the average factory built plane.
I do understand the scepticism most licensed pilots may feel towards experimentaly built aircraft IN GENERAL and I cannot easily dismiss that concern as a non-issue. I have always maintained I would be more comfortable purchasing an average production aircraft than a randomly selected homebuilt. With the purchase of a production aircraft, the buyer is at least assured a minimum level of construction quality is built in, the FAA would have it no other way. Period. All bets are off as regards the experimental category. Whether the "average" homebuilt has a built-in higher quality standard than the average factory built aircraft is a dubious assertion and arguable at best. Certainly, we have all seen expertly amateur built aircraft that can easily far exceed the quality standards of typical production aircraft but I tend to see these cherry picked examples not necessarily representive of "average" quality. I have seen many, many crudely built homebuilt aircraft I would not let my mother walk past. I am not talking about RV's in PARTICULAR, I am talking about experimental aircraft in GENERAL. Sometimes we forget RV's occupy but a percentage of homebuilt aircraft and believe me, there are builder groups out there just as vociferiously protective of their choice of favorite homebuilt aircraft as we are ours. All this is of no consequence to the perception of your average licensed pilot who like almost all of us, tend to engage in the mental shorthand exercise of "sterotyping" and as such, tend to lump ALL examples of experimentally built aircraft into one neat category.

It's the economy, not over supply that is hurting prices.
I think prices will come up when 'recovery' happens.
You can get a good deal on an luxury item now.

I don't totally agree.
It is supply & demand.
When the recovery happens, you may see a slight increase in demand but with so many RVs on the market, it will still be a buyers market.