RAY DIESEL

I'm New Here
can someone explain to me the process of balancing the rudder and elevator on an rv-7. i want to do a preliminary balance prior to paint. thanks

Ray

If your not going to fly before painting then there's not much point untill the painting is done.
If you are then balance the elevators so they stay neutral (horizontal). Ie sit them flat (attached to tailplane) and see if they are nose heavy or trailing edge heavy. If they are nose heavy remove some weight, tailing edge heavy add some.
If you then paint you'll have to add some more weight later.

The rudder you can't really adjust the weight and should be fine as it comes.

Hope this makes sense

Peter.

If you are planning to paint at a later date, leave the control surfaces slightly "nose heavy". It's better to be nose heavy than tail heavy. On RVs, control surface balance is not all that critical.

One thing we did was to put a platenut on the forward elevator horn, so that if we need to add weight later, we can attach it via a screw into the platenut (washers, etc.). I've heard of people adding weight to a completed elevator w/ fiberglass tips in place by mixing epoxy w/ lead shot and pouring it into the tip (something we used to do to nosecones for high powered rockets to get CG and CP correct), but I'd rather be able to make sure the weight is secured w/ a screw.