gunflint4

I'm New Here
I am about to order my standard build fuselage kit and would like some advice. My plane will be equipped for VFR only flight so would the prepunched VFR instrument panel from Vans be suitable for me or would it limit my options when I finally get around to choosing my instruments?

Just my $.02!

If you know that the pre-punched panel is exactly how you would like to have your panel laid out, then by all means go for it.

However, it is not that difficult to lay out and cut/punch the holes yourself. You have probably already thought about layout, etc., but I changed my mind on a few things before I finally cut the panel. Unfortunately I also wanted to move/add a thing or two after I cut the panel. Kind of a bummer to have to adjust and compromise.

I much prefer to do it myself. :D
YMMV

I purchased the pre-punched panel thinking I would use it. After some decision making I went with the Dynon setup which of course negated being able to use the pre-punched panel. Also, the pre-punched panel bothered me because the 6-pack holes weren't spaced evenly because of the tip-up rib behind the panel.

Anyway...I agree with the Wes that it isn't hard to cut out a panel. Actually I found it to be quite fun. Just borrow an instrument hole punch from your local EAA chapter or someone else and have fun. Just remember to grease up the punch. Don't ask me how I know. :D

One thing that was nice was that I chopped up the pre-punched panel and used the pre-punched holes as guides for my new panel -- for example I used it as a guide for the altimeter cutout and for the ELT remote cutout. Also, part of the bottom flange is now a part of a friend's tip-up canopy frame. :)

Basic VFR

gunflint4 said:
I am about to order my standard build fuselage kit and would like some advice. My plane will be equipped for VFR only flight so would the prepunched VFR instrument panel from Vans be suitable for me or would it limit my options when I finally get around to choosing my instruments?

Another thought is that if you really want to go basic VFR for the panel, you don't need all the holes in the pre-punched panel. A lot of cover plates makes for a less attractive panel IMHO. :D