newimaging

I am more asking this question to tease, but are the RV plans available in metric measurements. I am originally from Germany, and trying to figure out the 3/16's and then converting that in half, then going decimal with it to 0.1875 and then finding a ruler that can actually measure that, seems to be the hardest part of building the plane :)

Christian

christian,

it all sounds initimidating at first...
but after a while you really get the hang for it, it's not that hard. because usually you require the same 4 sizes of drills, the same 4 thicknesses of aluminum etc... it's just weird numbers. forget about changing the kit to metric, that's bound for failure! much easier to take cheap harbour freight wrenches and tools back home from your next trip to the u.s. (just remember to take an extra bag and expect the bags to be opened due to all the metal *G*)
the hardest thing is getting all the right tools to europe, once that's done it's pretty straight forward.
at the same time i wish van had designed everything in metric, but that's just the way it is.

rgds, bernie

Christian

You will give in eventually ;) like you will also get a pneumatic squeezer - so once you accept that, suggest you get the imperial rulers ASAP. Much easier in the long run / less mistakes I think?

Good luck!
Andy

Hi Christian, I don't think there are plans available in metric. I'm from Italy and imperial measurements are one of the first cause of my building errors. Buy imperial measuring tools and avoid to convert them to metric, try to think "imperial"... to measure 3/16" buy a fractional rule.. my rules are graduated in 32nd of an inch.. so measure 6/32", no need for converting it in decimal equivalent or metric.

Metric system is way more intuitive.. what drives me crazy is the system used to identify the size of drill bits... fractional.. wire gauge....letter.... !@#@!! Fortunately we use almost only wire gauge drills and ... remember: bigger number = smaller hole... (WHY ?!?!??!?) :mad:

... remember: bigger number = smaller hole... (WHY ?!?!??!?) :mad:

I can actually answer that one. The number is the quantity of dies the wire passed though to reach that size during forming. So, the more dies, the smaller the wire. Good ol' fun-fact for you.

Best bet is to buy a 6" and 24" machinists rule graduated in 32nds, and 64ths on one side and 1/10 and 1/100 on the other. There are times where having the decimal scale is handy, but for the most part you will use the fractional.

its actually very easy....!

Just to add support to the other comments - in the UK we are meant to be metric of course - in my boat building days I worked in millimetres and the measurement diagrams were all in millimetres, so that was very much what I was used to.

It took about 2 days of RV building using imperial measurements before I thought - gee - this is EASY. Half of 5/16 is 5/32, double 3/8 is 6/8 and so on - much easier than half of 17mm, twice 1.31cm etc.

Of course, I now have two sets of tools - imperial for American planes, metric for German cars......

Chris

Try this

I have European and American airplanes. If any of you folks know a good source of metric aircraft hardware, let me know.

ULM Technologie
in France has an online shop. You can select an English version of their product list and you should find all the metric hardware you need.

Exact France is more specialized in fittings and adapters between metric and imperial sizes.

Hope this helps

I, for one, would never want to have *two* types of hardware floating around (metric and English). Sooner or later, I'd be bound to put the wrong nut on the wrong bolt or something like that, thus mucking up the nut, the bolt, the parts or all of them.

Mixing units in one system is bad... ask me how I know this.

Steve

My car

I, for one, would never want to have *two* types of hardware floating around (metric and English). Sooner or later, I'd be bound to put the wrong nut on the wrong bolt or something like that, thus mucking up the nut, the bolt, the parts or all of them.

Mixing units in one system is bad... ask me how I know this.

Steve

Steve,
Don't ever try to restore an English car like the one in my avatar. It is fitted with 3 different imperial "standards" plus some metric screws here and there:eek:
Imagine the nightmare for someone born in metric

Time for an Aussie to pitch in

We have been metric for half of my life but I went back to Imperial like a duck to water. Just relax and go with it, mate. All you need is a 6" and 12" rule :cool:.

I am born in the USA and still have trouble with fractions. At Boeing and UAL I ONLY used a decimal ruler. I was shocked to find all Van's prints in fractions. I made many errors along the way that would not have been had the dimension been in decimal.

Go to the Yard Store and search for "scale" you can find all the decimal scales you need. Then get a fraction to decimal conversion chart.