stroke

I'm New Here
So I've decided that I'm going to build an RV, but I'm not sure whether I want to go with the -7 or -8 and have a lot of questions in general. I am 6'5", 225 lbs, so space is a concern for me. I have no taildragger time and have heard that insurance is significantly more expensive for taildraggers. Is this true? I have done a fair amount of military flying and am used to the throttle on the left and the stick on the right. Can the -7 be flown solo from the right seat? Thanks in advance for your help.

Find one of each (RV7/8: TD or nose wheel) and sit in them to assess how they feel to you. Only you can decide.

Stoke,

Welcome to the VAF.

Don't worry about the TW vs. NW debate. The insurance isn't that significant of a difference and if the NW guys keep flipping their planes upside down, they might just surpass the TW insurance rakes. ;) (Do a search, that topic has been discussed before.)

Build the plane you want to build and don't worry about which end the little wheel is on. Learning to fly a TW is like learning to solo all over again, after 10 hours you will wonder what all the excitement was about.

Since you are building this plane, you may configure it any way you want. If you like the Side-By-Side seating of the -7, put the instruments on the right side. That or learn to fly from the left. :eek:

There are a number of -7's flying with the throttle on the left side of the panel and no center throttle. Check out www.rvproject.com for details.

The -8 is a great airplane as is the -7, either can be built to accomodate your height, so that won't be a problem. Girth is more of an issue than height.

Try to sit in both prior to writing that first check. They both fly similarly so getting a ride in one will work for both.

some thiings to consider

Stoke,
I too debated on the merits (not very long I might add) of side-by-side vs tandem and there are many posts here about that topic - I won't speak of Tailwheel vs Nose wheel as this is not a question for me to help with-Taildraggers RULE!:cool:

How often do you plan to fly two-up? Most flights are solo unless you have a really enthusiastic wife or kid.

Do you plan to do formation? Center line seating is the way to go, but if you are a military pilot you already knew that.

Plan to do much acro? Again centerline is a better platform in my opinion.

As a con, I heard it said just today that for two up flying "side-by-sides are more like taking someone flying and tandem is giving someone a ride".

You mentioned space and elbow room could be an issue side-by-side.

I agree with the previous posts - "try before you buy!"

Good luck and Godspeed!

RV-7 or RV-8

Having owned, maintained and flow an RV-6A for over 250 hours, plus having co-built an RV-8 (sold after flyoff hours) and built, maintained an RV-10 for more than 170 hours, I am now building an RV-7 to complement my RV-10.

One RV-8 was enoght for me, give me either a side by side or an RV-10.

7 or 8

Advice given to me early on-----build what YOU want to see when YOU open the hangar door. Of course, I built an 8!:D

Stoke,
How often do you plan to fly two-up? Most flights are solo unless you have a really enthusiastic wife or kid.

Most of "who's" flights? :)

In my part of the country, we have exciting scenery to show off!

It must be "shared"!

Apparently, the guy portrayed in the movie "Into the Wild" said about the same thing (sharing experiences), after wanting to be somewhat of a loner... :D

L.Adamson -- RV6A, --- but likes "8"'s portraying P-51's

My Opinions

Having lurked around VAF for years, I am still putting off my build since my Army job is keeping me busy traveling the world (same destination). If I ever have more than 18 months home in one location, I will start building an -8. I was in the -7 crowd for a while...side by side, more panel room, etc. That all changed when I took the wife up to VAF HQs and met Doug Reeves and Danny King. Not only did the let me sit in both a -6 (close enough to a -7) and -8 (Beautiful Doll), they let my wife do the same. Danny does a great job selling the -8. As a pilot, I prefered the -8, but wife wasn't so sure. After she sat in both, she was sold that the -8 was a better fit for "us". I liked the -8 for the increase room in the cockpit. Sure, you don't have the seat next to you, but there is LOTS MORE headroom and you can layout everything in the cockpit similar to HOTAS. Visibility (IMHO) was also better in the -8...even for the back seat passenger, er, pilot ;). It's hard to decide one way or the other without getting around and doing some comparison sitting. Words will only give you an idea of what to look for in your comparison. Hope this helps!

Oh, and thanks Danny! :D

-Greg

Case closed

There are far more side by side than tandem RVs...ergo, ipso dipso, the side by sides are mo better.

After owning and flying two place tandem airplanes for over 25 years I built a 7. I am 6' and 250 and have head and legroom to spare. i have a 6'5" friend that fits comfortably with the stock Classic Aero seats. He had to remove most of the foam from his seat and back cushions to fit in his 6. I fly two friends 8s and there is more headroom but you sit more straight up in the 8. Although the 7 is a little tight in the shoulder area for two big guys once you are flying it is hardly noticeable. As to the left hand stick on the 7 it is no big deal. It only took a few minutes to get used to it the first time I flew left hand stick in a Fairchild 24. As far as flying quality there is no difference between the two they are both great flying airplanes and you can't go wrong with either one. Don