Reflex

Well Known Member
After a significant amount of time, thought, and research; I had decided to build an RV-7. Recently, I've become undecided as to whether or not a 7 or 14 is the best choice for me. Below is the story.

After several delays, I've finally finished my shop in which I intend to build the RV. In fact, I'm starting to move things into it this evening :). After all the delays, I fought the urge to order the RV-7 until the shop was complete as I wanted to insure I had a place to put "stuff" and didn't want to get ahead of myself. In the mean time, I attended Oshkosh again this year.

Naturally, after arriving at Oshkosh I made a bee-line to the Van's tent/booth where my wife and I had the opportunity to sit in both the 9A and the 14. Well, we really liked the 14's additional room. While we're normally sized, the room in the 14 would make longer trips very comfortable.

The mission for the plane is simple, we're planning to use the it for touring. A quick trip to see friends or family rather than driving 7 - 10 hours is very appealing. The fact that either the 7 or the 14 have basic aerobatic capability is a plus, but not much of a deciding factor.

In cramming all the research I could into the last 3 weeks or so, I've come to the realization that I'm truly undecided. While it's a wonderful problem to have, I'd like to make a final decision and move forward.

Probably the biggest issue I have with the 14 is the limitation on engine choices. By "limitations", I mean that the IO-390 is the only recommended version at this time. (There's a IO-360 in Van's current 14 but they're not saying much about it.) I'd really like to have the ability to run mogas. As of yet, I haven't found an engine that will work in the 14 that the manufacturer says is "OK" to run on mogas. I understand that modifications can be made to reduce compression ratios, but at this point, I don't see where any engine manufacturer says an appropriate engine is good to go on mogas. In addition, Van's is being very tight lipped about other engines that could/would work in the 14.

Other decision factors include:

RV-14
Pro vs. RV-7
Room
Ease of construction - I'll be doing a slow build
May be a more stable instrument platform

Cons vs. RV-7
Cost of construction
Cost of operation
Available only in a tip-up version
Limitation on engine choices and fuel

RV-7
Pro
Performance (at least based on current publised data)
Cost of operation
Cost of construction
Available in a slider version
Multiple engine choices (would go with 180 hp)

Con
Size of cockpit - We fit OK, but the 14 is just much more comfortable.

The cost of construction is a factor, but not the deciding factor. Of course I'd like to keep as much money as possible in my pocket, but the initial cost is not the entire decision maker. My greater concern is the cost of operation. Why? Because I can predict how much it costs to build the 14, but it's impossible to predict the cost of operation over a long period. On thing seems sure, the ability to run mogas and a smaller engine should result in lower operating costs on the RV-7.

The reason for the post is that I'm hoping that some of you guys have thought though something like this more fully than I, and that you might point out some other considerations.

Thanks,

Reflex

Some thoughts - -

I am near the end of my 7 build. I found many many things that I have to research and decide. When visiting Vans, and looking at the 14, many (hundreds comes to mind) of those issues are well thought out and included on-plan and integrated with the 14. The aft tail mounted transponder blade is an example. It has consideration for the panel and harnesses, connectors, and wire routing all thought through. You might get the preview plans for each model and look for your self. In the beginning, I had no clue to all the time consumed in the things I listed here.

If the 7 had the same attention to detail in design and instructions, it would be an easy choice.

You are going to spend so many hours and money in this selection and getting the project to completion, why don't you just fly out to Vans, get a tour, fly in the planes, and take home some plans. It will be a small percentage of the total, a really fun trip and help you make a sound decision.

Probably the biggest issue I have with the 14 is the limitation on engine choices. By "limitations", I mean that the IO-390 is the only recommended version at this time. (There's a IO-360 in Van's current 14 but they're not saying much about it.)

The IO-390 is the only engine currently specified in sales literature but the whole exercise of putting an IO-360 in the tail dragger prototype was to demonstrate it as a viable option.

The power plant kit has been designed to work with any of the Lycoming angle valve derivatives. No one at Van's would have had a lot to say at OSH about the IO-360 in the RV-14 because it is a very new airplane at this point. Until detail flight testing comparing the RV-14A and the RV-14, with the different engines was done (it had not been), no one would officially comment regarding how they compare.