Noah

Well Known Member
Anybody got any photos of the accessory case showing which ports are used for the oil cooler on an RV-7 IO-360? There are several alternative options and I am curious to see which ones are used. My engine, an A1B6, came off a Beech Sierra and used this port for the return line, but I think that the better port to use is in the middle of the case, as the other one is more prone to leakage with two seals to worry about. See photo:

Last edited:
The two fittings depicted in your picture are from the engine to the cooler not return from the cooler. It doesn't matter which one of the two you use to go to the cooler, they are in the same port internally in the engine.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Thanks Mahlon, understood. Just trying to figure out which one works best given the geometry of the RV-7 around the firewall in that area. In other words, does the center one interfere with anything? I think that one is preferred. Do people use a straight fitting? 45? 90?

Last edited:
Noah,
Most everything I have seen (using the Lycoming style oil filter adapter) used the center port with a 45* fitting to go to the cooler.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

OK, thanks Mahlon, Looks like I'll have to pop off the oil filter adapter to get the 45* on there, and remove the crankcase breather fitting to remove the other port body/fitting and put a plug in there.

Still looking for a picture though! What orientation is needed on that 45* fitting?