pa38112

Well Known Member
Simple question... I hope - I am about to order my 7 tail kit. How well does the manual trim work VS the electric ? I'm inclined to go mechanical, but if it is as poor at the spring tension trim on my Tomahawk forget it. - Anyone have experiance with both?
Thanks!

PS, can anyone explain why everyone seems to wait until the whole plane is build to prime the skin ? I would think it makes sence to etch/prime as you go.

I've been using the manual trim on my -6 for 15 years now and wouldn't change a thing. Works great!

PS, can anyone explain why everyone seems to wait until the whole plane is build to prime the skin ? I would think it makes sence to etch/prime as you go.
A number of people, myself included, prime the inside skins but leave the outside for the finish painter. The painter usually has an entire painting "system" and wants to do all the prep work so his paint will stick to his primer.

MANUAL TRIM IS GOOD!

Simple question... I hope - I am about to order my 7 tail kit. How well does the manual trim work VS the electric ? I'm inclined to go mechanical, but if it is as poor at the spring tension trim on my Tomahawk forget it. - Anyone have experiance with both?
Thanks!
YES! All of my training was in a TOMAHAWK...........:(

The Tomahawk :eek: did not have a trim tab. All it had was a bungie that wound put pressure on the elevator in place of you holding pressure on the stick!

Van's trim system is a "10". Tomahawk a "1". Van's manual trim is a K.I.S.S. system that you will love every time that you use it.:) One less "ELECTRIC" thing to go wrong.

P.S. There is little to compare a Tomahawk to an RV!!... There is a reason that Piper no longer makes the Tombahawk.............:rolleyes:

P.S.S. This is why I like manual trim...........
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=28454

Last edited:
The Manual Pitch trim is great!

The Manual Pitch trim is great! I wish there was comparable yaw trim. I've been thinking on that for years... someday!

Bob Axsom

Manual Trim best IMO

Partner and I had a -6a with electric trim, which is why I put manual on my own -6a. Electric was hard to get "just right", and had overabundance of wiring, servos, etc., which caused occasional grief.

My manual el trim can be adjusted with easy precision. Nuff said.

Jerry

I have flown several RVs with both manual and electric trim. I hated every one of them with electric trim and put manual in mine. The manual just works great and there is no problems like almost everyone has with servos. Don