rv7charlie

Well Known Member
A quick search didn't turn up anything.

Has anyone moved their tipup instrument panel aft to provide a bit more clearance behind the panel? I'm running into clearance issues at the top, due to the canopy's brace structure, and also at the bottom left, where I'd like to put an instrument that barely touches the triangular gusset running from top longeron to the sub-panel.

The move looks do-able with some square tubing or C-channel spacers. The only obvious domino is the mount for the air vents, but I can handle that. Any other 'gotchas'?

Thanks,

Charlie

Have never seen that done. Seems like that would open up a HUGE can or worms. Many things converge at the top of the panel for the opening and closing of a tip-up canopy.
Can you not get more room for necessary panel gear by cutting holes in the subpanel? I did that in multiple locations.

Already have the sub panel cut for the 430 gps & 327 transponder. Conflicts are not with the sub panel, but with the canopy structure and angled gusset from top longeron to sub panel, as I said in the original post. The 9pin connector on the AFS4500 (mounted high in the panel) appears to intrude into the canopy brace structure. And I'd like to put the AFS autopilot head on the bottom left of the panel, but the back corner will hit the angled gusset that connects the top longeron to the sub panel.

What species of worms does moving the panel *aft* (toward the pilot) open up? Does the canopy frame close down *aft* of the current panel position? I know that the air vent eyeballs will need a different mount, but beyond that, the only thing I can think of would be the canopy itself, if the aft portion of the forward canopy frame comes down below & aft of the panel top.

What species of worms does moving the panel *aft* (toward the pilot) open up? Does the canopy frame close down *aft* of the current panel position? .

In a word, yes. The tip-up canopy frame has a round structural member all the way across that - when closed - sits immediately aft and tight up against the panel.

Yeah, after Scott's post, I decided to pull my canopy out of storage. Fortunately, one of my neighbors was available to help me reinstall it.

For future builders:
It looks like the panel could come aft ~1", *if* it's also lowered about 3/8" to clear the round tube that runs under the rear edge of the forward frame. Any further aft and it will interfere with the shock strut mount on the canopy rail.

I was fortunate; the top left corner & 9 pin connector of my AFS4500 landed within one of the lightening holes in the canopy structure, and i'm pretty sure the a/p head will do the same. So it appears that I won't need to move the panel. I'd prefer to mount the a/p head down low, but it looks like that just isn't happening.

Thanks to all for the advice,

Charlie