Robb

Well Known Member
After battling high oil temps with my RV i finally solved the problem. My engine is 195 hp with oil squirters. I originally had the standard Vans cooler with a 3 inch scat tube feeding the fire wall remote mounted cooler. I was unable to fly in warm temps or even do a full power climb on mild days without the oil going to 230 degrees or hotter. I changed the cooler to a larger one and it only helped a little. During my recent annual I fabricated a plenum type inlet to the cooler and enlarged the outlet and scat tube to 4 inches. I have a Sam James plenum and there was plenty of room below it to enlarge the opening. During a full power climb this morning the hottest I saw was 210 degrees. AT full power cruise it was 185 degrees at 50 degrees OAT. Now I can finally use all the power I have and I am confident it will be fine this summer. It also cools off a lot faster after a hard climb. Finally figured it out and it looks like I have plenty of exit air. I am glad I did not try opening the cowling up. It just proves a remote cooler does indeed work adequately. Hopefully this post will help another member.

Pictures?

I've thought about doing the same. Could you post pictures when you're able?

Here's how I did it. I used 4" SCAT. I had help with the welding!:)

2v8r5f9.jpg

or2eit.jpg

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

Will do mine was a bit different since I had a Sam James cowling it turned out great and I bet there are a lot of guys having issues as well