Tango Mike

Well Known Member
My newly purchased G3X-equipped RV-7 has a fuel indication issue.

The fuel calculator function works as expected. With full tanks confirmed prior to a series of flights, fuel used and fuel remaining always equal 42 gal. So far so good.

The problem is that while the total of the L and R fuel gauges equals 42 immediately after the tanks are filled, as fuel is burned they don't decrease proportionately. A recent comparison: the fuel calculator indicated 14.8 used and 27.2 remaining but the gauges indicated 16/20. Sticking the tanks proved the gauge totals were bogus. The difference hasn't always been 8.8 gal, but the gauge total has never agreed with the calculator.

Examination of the fuel tank calibration page in the configuration mode proved that the builder had performed the procedure by incremental additions of 5 gal and calibrating the voltages for each data point. What I didn't know is if he had done it correctly, so I decided to do it myself just to be sure.

That turned out to be a great decision for the left tank, which shows full when full and decreases proportionately as fuel is used.

But the right tank refuses to cooperate. Here are the data points (gallons/voltage): 0/1.987; 5/1.898; 10/1.896; 15/1.895; 20/1.894. Compared to left-tank voltages of 1.947/1.284/0.887/0.335/0.296, it appears that the right-tank sending unit is either physically not rising with the fuel level or has failed internally.

I recorded the data points entered by the builder before I replaced them with my own, and his right tank values were very similar to the ones I obtained on the left tank, which indicates that the sending unit was working at one time.

I called Garmin to ask if there might be something in the G3X that could cause this, but the answer involved a discussion of how the wiring might have been done. That doesn't seem to be a likely cause when the builder's calibration appears reasonable on both tanks.

Which leads me to the most probable cause, a malfunctioning sending unit. The tech rep suggested that I remove the lead from the sending unit, connect a 5k rheostat to the center contact and ground either of the outside terminals on the rheostat. I wouldn't be able to compare absolute voltage values without matching the rheostat to the sending unit, but it would verify that the G3X end of the system is responding to changes in resistance at the tank end.

I've heard RVers talk about physically manipulating the float arm with the sending unit in the tank, but I don't know if that's a valid test or even possible. I could remove the unit with the center lead attached, ground the mounting flange to the aircraft, and manipulate the float with the G3X in the calibrate mode while a helper notes the voltage reading. But if I go that far, I'm tempted to replace the unit rather than reinstall it even if it checks out.

I'd appreciate opinions on whether I'm on the fight track with this and any suggestions about how to proceed from here.

One note: I've heard RVers say that you can't remove and replace a sending unit with the tank installed on the aircraft. I'm not buying that as a hard and fast statement, because last month I removed and replaced a sending unit in an RV-6. It wasn't particularly fun, but pulling a tank off to deal with a bad sending unit doesn't seem to be a good option if the alternative exists.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Tosh

Hello Tosh,

I agree with the advice you got on the phone; that sounds like a good direction to begin troubleshooting. If you determine that the wiring between the sender and the engine interface unit is good, the next step I'd suggest is to use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the sender terminal and a known good ground point, then add or remove fuel and see if it changes. If it stays constant, that would be confirmation that the sender is defective and/or stuck. If I recall correctly, I believe these senders are around 30 ohms at one end of their travel and 240 at the other.

By the way, I wanted to point out that you can save an existing fuel tank calibration to an SD card and restore it later if you have to. This is discussed in section 18.3.3 of the current G3X installation manual.

I sure hope you don't have to remove the tank... however, having done that job on my last RV I can tell you that it is doable. I bought a very small 1/4" drive air ratchet, which made all the difference when I was trying to remove and reinstall the bolts with my arm wedged inside the wing. Unfortunately I can't remember where I got it. If you're unable to find one locally, drop me a line at the email address below and I'll loan you mine.

- Matt

Thanks, Matt, I'll take those suggestions to the airport.

When I replaced the sending unit on the -6, I used Allen head screws with a cut-down wrench in 1/4" drive socket after trying a few different small drivers that I couldn't get to fit between the lines and the flange on the sending unit. I expect it to be a knuckle-buster job no matter what I do, but your offer of a lend is very generous and I'll keep it in mind.

Tosh

A follow up to the G3X fuel indicating problem

With a variable potentiometer set to a range of 20-240 ohms, I verified that the G3X system responds correctly to variable resistance throughout a range of voltages from 1.9xx to 0.29x. This eliminated it as the source of the problem identified in this thread and pointed directly at the fuel sending unit.

Access to the screws attaching the unit to the tank was relatively easy from below, and I removed them in about ten minutes with a small ratchet and Phillips head driver.

The problem now is breaking the seal between the flange on the sending unit and the tank without resorting to a crowbar and brute strength.

Any suggestions on how to do this?