Epsound

Well Known Member
Hello all.

Can anyone offer any advice on (pre) shopping for an engine for someone with no experience buying one. Sort of...........a mandatory checklist if you will.

All I can say for sure is that it will likely be a 7 with at least 180 HP.

i.e. How much is too much (in general)
What can be considered a 'great' deal
What can someone expect to pay
What to look out for
etc. etc.

Also, where would I begin looking for used/new engines.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers

Evans

Last edited:
http://www.bpaengines.com/ - Very well respected in our community and a sponsor here.

http://mattituck.com/ - Very well respected and active in our community.

http://xp-360.com/ - Superior - They are well known and do some research in an RV-6.

http://aerosportpower.com/ - Lots of these around and people seem to be very happy with them.

http://www.eci2fly.com/ - Mostly kit built but they have a great name. They are also sponsors here.

There are many more out there. As for prices they range from "Ohh, that's expensive" to "Ohhh my god, that's crazy expensive". (wrong hobby for people prone to sticker shock)

Finding good used engines is tough unless you have people with money in hand watching for you. Most of the shops buy up the cores as soon as they become available.

YMMV, have fun. And you thought you were confused before. :)

Confused?..You will be

Basics...Parallel valve, 8.5:1 CR, FI'd or carb= 180+Hp

Angle valve 9:1 CR, = 200 to 210HP

Angle valves are heavier and more expensive plus definately need beefier oil coolers but heads tend to run cooler.

Mogas runs great in 8.5:CR engines..Will probably work just fine in 9 or 9.2:1 engines as well, but the supplier won't recommend it.

Fuel Injected or carb....FI will normally run Lean of peak which will save 1 to 1.5 GPH..this adds up a lot over time. Carbs MAY run LOP but not usually.

If you want to do negative G aerobatics you'll need FI....And inverted oil system (add on to any engine) plus put flop tubes in one or both of the tanks.

Fixed pitch vs constant speed prop...Crankshaft is different, needs hollow shaft for C/S but if you want a fixed pitch prop you can mount them on a C/S crank with a plug.

C/S..More expensive (of course) and heavier. But you get more performance both in climb and a little in cruise.

Then you got horizontal or vertical induction..I prefer horizontal as this avoids the pigs snout under the cwol.

Of course this is just Lycomings and clones...Automotive conversions are a whole nother matter..

Frank

Hello all.

Can anyone offer any advice on (pre) shopping for an engine for someone with no experience buying one. Sort of...........a mandatory checklist if you will.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers

Evans

Hum, you get what you pay for but my experience with Barrett Precision Engines tells me if you call them first, the bar for all others will be set very, very high;)

RV 7 Engine

A new 180 HP engine from one of the five vendors Sid listed will cost you at least $21K, more if you enhance it with things like fuel injection, forward facing sump, roller-tappets, etc.

That might seem like a lot, but it's important for that powerplant to keep on turning...

Yup

You might be able to get a mid time engine for cheaper but by the time you strip it down and heaven forbid there is something that needs replacing (there usually is), Parts are not cheap.

Some real horror stories of folks spending more to build an engine than to simply buy a new one.

21 to 25k..Its just the price of admission.

frank

Engine kit......hmmm

The kits at ECI look interesting. Might be able get a decent new one for around 20K and a little sweat equity.

Thanks Lambert.

Looks like 20-25K is the going price of admission Frank.

Good deal on Subaru for one interested in auto conversion..

Saw this message on the EGG forum this morning....

Do to medical reason and having three grand kids to raise now will
not be finishing plane Have 15000 down on engine will take 2000 off and
mount included for Rv7 Engine is ready to ship. with final payment
7220.50 left on engine .
Have some extras with Engine will send copy of invoice if wanted.

Mike Terrell
acuetex@...

Conversion?

Don't know anything about conversions. The thought bothers me a little. Thank for the tip.

Evans.

The ECI kits can be had for as little as $13-$14,000. To that you will have to add all the accessories and of course assembly.

Accessories include carburetor or fuel injection, fuel pump, and ignition.

The auto conversions always sound promising and seem to work very well for those who like to tinker a lot. If you just want to get in and go fly, use a Lycoming or clone. Besides, the Subaru conversions all seem to come in 100 lbs heavier than the Lycoming. Dan's W&B page is still down or I would direct you there. (www.rvproject.com/wab)

Here's a linke from the "Way Back Machine": http://web.archive.org/web/20061030065621/www.rvproject.com/wab/. This goes back to 2006 so there are not many entries on in.

You know the saying, you can't put lipstick on a pig. ;)

Last edited:
Wentworth.....

.....is a dismantler and have many running takeouts with varying times remaining, if you'd consider a used engine. My buddy bought an 0-320, 160HP takeout with 1500TT for $8500, complete and runs like a champ in his -4. They're a pretty reputable company. Since few guys fly their RV's more than 100 hours a year, this engine is good for at least 5 more years.

Regards,

Dont forget the warranty

I went with the ECI 0-360 kit for $14.5K then you add mags, carburetor etc etc, I did not have any tradeins for the carb or mags so all was bought new. Total including porting and assembly ended up at $20.5K. The equivalent Aerosport engine was around $23/24K but would have included a test cell run and a three year warranty. It was not an easy choice to make.
I did however learn a lot in the process which I believe will be useful in maintaining my aircraft.
As usual many choices are personal preference.

Dave,

Where did you purchase your kit? I'm trying to get information on pricing, and having a hard time finding it! I talked with ECI, and they told me they couldn't give me pricing, and to talk with AERO. I have a message out to AERO now, but no callback yet...

I'm also curious if it's possible to buy the ECI kit without cylinders... basically just a new case/crank/cam.

tmbg

Go to the ECI site again. On the home page, click on the 'Titan EXP' link towards the bottom left. Once you get to this page there will be an engine layout with description pointers. Below that there are more links. Look for the one that says 'kit suppliers'. There is where you will find contact info for vendors who can give you prices.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Evans.

Eci has a "FREE Engine Builder Assist Workshop."

Eci has a "FREE Engine Builder Assist Workshop."

There is a ECI Kit supplyer close to you in Peachtree that is listed by ECI as offering the "FREE Engine Builder Assist Workshop."

Rick Scarbrough

Address:
P.O. Box 3214
Peachtree City, GA 30269
USA
Phone:770 252 4995
Toll Free:800 422 0216
Fax:770 252 5270

Other suppliers offering the Free work shop

http://www.eci.aero/pages/builderassist.aspx

TITAN KitEngine Build Facilities

USA

AL
Aviation Engines 800-344-7918 Pam Freeman

AZ
Arizona Air-Craftsman, Inc. 928-717-1680 Jay Kerger

CA
Eagle Engines 800 292 7767 Bob Honig

CO
Western Skyways 800-575-9929 Trent Tubbs

FL
JB Aircraft Engine Svce, Inc. 863-655-5000 Jim Brod

GA
Graham Aircraft Engines, LLC 800-422-0216 Rick Scarbrough

NC
D B Aerotech 910-428-9882 Don Bennett

NY Teledyne Mattituck
free weekend seminars available, call for details800-624-6680 Mike Yousik
(Ext 304)

OK
America's Aircraft Engines 888-371-1371 Richard Fowler

VA Aero Engines of Winchester 540-678-1661 Tom Schwietz

INTERNATIONAL

Canada
Leavens Aviation 800-263-6142 Greg Mansell

England
Jade Air Plc 44 1444 401325 David Sellick

Talk to Jesse at AERO

Ian
My kit came from AERO and was assembled by a local guy here in Utah, he has built a number of these for other RV builders in the area, everyone I talked to was very happy with the engine. The kit comes ready for CS, I am going FP but have the parts to convert later if I choose.

Yeah talk to Jesse (the first on the list)

I spoke to him. According to him, I can order one from him starting a $13.3K.

Cool! I'll give him a call after my 10:30 meeting... hopefully I can get ahold of him.

Spoke with Jesse at AERO today...

He said right at $13k for the base kit, case, crank, cam, rods, titan cyls, updraft sump.

He's looking into some details on some of the other options that I want. I'm going to have to put together a spreadsheet with all the details on everything I want, so I can compare it to other options like a fully-loaded BPE engine, and be apples-to-apples on price.

Should be interesting!

in the end, what engine?

A question for everybody: What engine to instal now, November 2009? Lycoming or clone?
If clone what name? superior? mattituk?, Aerosport?

WHat engine is safe for run with Mogas more than 91 octanes?:confused:

I look for a new RV7A
cool:
Costa: