Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkie

Well Known Member
OK, I'm super new at this and have some questions about engines. First off, I've decided to put only a Lycoming engine in the airplane. I figure many decades of proven reliability and workmanship can't be wrong.

About what I plan to do with this airplane when it's finished in 2035....So far I'm thinking dual Skyviews, light aerobatics, CS prop, Sam James cowl (looks pretty cool). Basically a solid VFR (maybe IFR) cross country bird. I want it to go fast, of course, but don't want to have to sell my children off either to pay for it.

My questions are these... What size engine do I NEED to accomplish all the above stated items? What's the difference between the angle type engines and the horizontal types? which type is more popular and why? I've seen some airplanes that have the air inlet on the lower cowl and some that do not, why? How bout certificated vs non-certificated?

These are just some initial questions I've been thinking about. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.

The questions are good, but if you plan to take a really long time to build, which many of us are doing, I would not marry yourself to anything.

In 5-10 years those skyviews will be dinosaurs, there will no doubt be many affordable alternatives with 10x the features.

Any engine that Van's reccomends will get you were you want to go fast, just depends on your pocketbook.

I've seen some airplanes that have the air inlet on the lower cowl and some that do not, why? How bout certificated vs non-certificated?
The air inlet is usually for engines set up with carbs. The fuel injected models don't have them unless you go with a ram air design. At that point I believe you'll need to fabricate yourself.
I went non-certified because they're less expensive but use the same parts. ( I think :confused: )

Status
Not open for further replies.