cjensen

Well Known Member
Tragedy...

Anybody know anything on this one???

********************************************************************************
** Report created 3/21/2008 Record 1 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 742MJ Make/Model: RV7 Description: RV-7
Date: 03/18/2008 Time: 1930

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT DURING UNKNOWN PHASE OF FLIGHT, CRASHED ON AIRPORT TAXIWAY ALPHA
AT WINSLOW, AZ

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: UNK

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SCOTTSDALE, AZ (WP07) Entry date: 03/19/2008

Thoughts and prayers to family and friends...

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Been trying to figure out this one too. Saw th name of Myron Jenkins somewhere else. He was well kown in Arizona as a champin Glasair builder years ago, but I have been unable to confirm if it is the same person. The news out here has been very quiet on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
No local news...

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned on any of the AZ news sources....:confused:

The 7:30 pm time would have been while the airport was unattended....

The FAA shows the plane as a RV-7A.

RIP....

gil A

Yeah. I searched all day for news articles on it yesterday, and came up dry.

I did find a link that showed Mr. Jenkins as the builder of this RV-7, and a Glasair built several years ago.

Last edited:
Myron R Jenkins, Glastar/RV7 Builder

For those of you who knew this great builder, he was killed a couple of days ago at Winslow Regional Airport. There is security camera film floating around that shows him over the airport, pulling up, and rolling over into the ground. He had recently completed his RV7 and was flying off the test hours.
His Glastar had won several awards at Oshkosh.

More...

A bit more info came from one of his Tucson Glasair friends.

The accident happened in the middle of the day... don't know where 19:30 came from in the FAA report... his wife was there meeting him for lunch.

He had some previous engine issues (possibly FP to CS conversion) and was circling the airport, and then just dove in.

He was telling folks he was not feeling well in the previous few days.

The RV-7A was highly modified - he was working with a builder in Prescott.

His previously built Glastar did not have metal wings, he had modified it to have carbon fibre wings.

Info. several times removed, but from a pretty reliable source...

Our thoughts with his family... may he RIP...

gil A

Last edited:
His Glassair III

I believe this is a photo I took of his Glassair III at Camarillo, California EAA, Chapter 723 10th annual fly-in on May 13, 1990.

Bob Axsom

Glastar

The Glastar has metal wings with a composite fuselage.

...and his modification was to replace the metal Glastar wings with composite ones...
The Glastar fuselage is a steel frame and a composite shell, IIRC...

gil A

...and his modification was to replace the metal Glastar wings with composite ones...
The Glastar fuselage is a steel frame and a composite shell, IIRC...

gil A

Gil is correct. Myron built a Glastar with entirely composite wings.
There was a story in Sport aviation done on it (maybe 6-7 years ago?).

His RV-7A was also highly modified (enough that it probably should have been registered as something other than an RV-7A). From talking to Myron in the past, I gathered that it had composite skins in place of pretty much all of the metal skins on the wings and fuselage. Some of the flight control system was changed (ailerons were redesigned so that they hinged on the leading edge) and probably many other changes that he never mentioned. Myron was definitely an innovator.

I got to know Myron in the early 90's working with the Copperstate Fly-in committee. He was very involved in putting on the fly-in at that time.

Real nice Guy. My condolences to his Wife, Family, and Friends in AZ.

My condolence to the family. Myron was well known in the Glasair fraternity as one of the first builders. Most of his planes made the Sportaviation issues. A real homebuilder, multiple offender.
Sometimes i think the price of aviation is just too high. RIP Myron.