Brettc

Can anyone give me estimated dimensions of the largest piece (other than skin) in the RV7 wing kit? I would guess is going to be a spar doubler or similar. Drawing up plans for a paint booth, alodine tub and such but I won't be ready for the wing kit for a few months yet. Thanks!

Also if you have the dimension of the largest piece in the fuse kit too that would be great!

Very large plastic bag

I read in this forum that someone used his wife's Food Saver rolls to create a plastic bag up to 20 feet long for alodine.

Measurements

Longest part number the wing is the aft spar. 110" x 5" estimated.
Longest on the fuse is the longerons. 15 feet.
Aft side skins are next at 8 feet then forward side skins at 7 feet.

Last edited:
No "bath" needed

While it is nice to have a "bath", it can just as easily be applied with a cotton rag or brush. The important thing, is not to let it fully dry prior to rinse. Keep in mind, the purpose is to creat a surface conversion coating, which only takes a few minutes, then water rinse. Follow that with primer and your done. We use Alodine by the gallons daily on airliners doing repair work..no bath needed. There are even Alodine pens which look like a dry erase marker that are spill proof and super easy. The only caution I will give, is a rag with dry Alodine on it will burn easily (oxidizer), so rinse well before disposal. For small parts, ziplock bags are handy, but I did most of mine with rags and rinse process...very little waste also.

Thanks bill, I continue to get an uneven coat of alodine via the rub method. But with the large parts that is most likely what I'll do. I'm still debating what the best solution is. I have a tendency to overthink and overbuild everything.

alodine tank

I made a wood tank 11 x 68 x 38 tall and used a California king waterbed for the liner, I got the liner for 55$ new. I am on my tail now, will probably make longer tank from pvc pipe for longer wing parts

I would think if you could handle the largest rib in your bath that should be sufficient. I used a rubbermaid or similar container that used to be for xmas paper. :D

I made a wood tank 11 x 68 x 38 tall and used a California king waterbed for the liner, I got the liner for 55$ new. I am on my tail now, will probably make longer tank from pvc pipe for longer wing parts

A roll of heavy duty plastic 'drop cloth' can be used to accomplish the same thing. I used Van's long skinny wood shipping box (spars?) & lined it with plastic drop cloth. Rolled the plastic over the top & stapled it outside.

Charlie

Uneven coat is no biggie

What looks un-even during wipe method doesnt mean it hasn't done its job..I'm as OCD as they come, and after you prime them, you will forget all about it. wipe,rub and forget. I just think time is better spent building than building an Alodine tank. For my parts that are alodine only, and no primer (my baffles), I scotchbrite washed them and applied my Alodine with a Preval sprayer in a fine mist then rinsed..smooth!