Swifty

Assuming fuel injection and horizontal induction is there any difference in cowling between the 180hp parallel and the 200hp angle IO-360 choices (size, scoop/smooth, etc)? I have my eyes on an ECI 180hp with horizontal cold air induction but would like to to know if I would also have the option of the 200hp angle valve before I pull the trigger. Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

As I understand it, the big horizontal induction engines require the larger cowl which have a flat bottom. The carbed and vertical injection 180 Hp engines require the snout version. Not sure about the horizontal induction 180HP.

The snout version has room for Vetterman mufflers, the flat bottom does not.

I have a flat bottom I0360 RV7/A cowl (untouched) for sale if somebody want to make me an offer.

Located in BC (near the Washington border).

Bevan

Last edited:
Actually the problem with the cowl difference and the engine choices you are discussing deal with the forward facing sump. If you go with the forward facing cold air induction you will not be able to use the cross-over exhaust. The cross-over routes directly in front of the forward facing air intake. You will be able to use the Vetterman 4-staight pipe exhaust however. As for mufflers, I thought I wanted to muffle my exhaust but having flown now for 150 hours I can say I do not consider the exhaust all that noisy. In fact I am impressed with the sound of the straight exhaust. It really is much quieter than I thought it would be.

The setup you are looking at is what I have on my RV9A. I have the ECI-IO340 with forward facing cold air induction. I purchased the IO-360 cowl for the RV7 and the snorkel with air filter from Vans. In my case all of this fit perfectly with little modification. Some people have reported they had to cut the snorkel and re-fiberglass parts of it to make it fit. That was not an issue for my setup. Mine fit like a glove right out of the box.

The IO-360 cowl from Vans is wider so there is more room inside the cowling on the sides. It really is a good setup. I think the smooth bottom cowl looks nice. Not sure if there is any measurable reduction of drag vs the snout but I do like the sleeker lines.

I have the IO360-A1B6 forward injector superior cold air sump. The Vetterman crossover exhaust without mufflers work well. The only challenge is the sniffle valve port and control cable routing.

Thanks. After chatting with ECI and looking on some old threads it appears the 180 hp horizontal and the 200 hp horizontal setups use the same smooth cowl alleviating the need for a scoop. ECI stated it was likely the same cowl used for the IO-360-M1B which makes sense, however ECI uses a slightly different designation system. The vans web sight states the M1B and the A1B6 use the same smooth cowl.

In my case, the Superior Cold Air sump with forward-facing intake and AFP throttle body didn't work with the crossover exhaust. I had to go to the 4-pipe. I've got the flat-bottomed pink cowl that should work with the filtered air box, but if I was going to do it again, i'd get the Rod Bowers ram air kit and the cowl with the snout.