LarryT

Well Known Member
Three requests for comments:

1. At 6'4" my seat back will be against the F-705F channel. I do not intend to install either the F-637D or F-638 seat back brace on the -7. I have already removed them from my flying -6A. Is there any structural reason to install the F-705J angle and F-705K plate on the F-705F channel or can I leave them off too?

2. On the passenger side my wife has expressed concern about inadvertently depressing a rudder pedal. (In addition, my son is 6'8" and I would like to be able to take him up some day.) Besides weight and complexity, that gave me another reason to leave the brakes off the pax side. If I also position the seat rearward on the pax side, I think I could design a folding foot rest that would prevent accidental contact by a passenger with the rudder pedals. The foot rest could be folded down if there were a requirement to fly from the right-hand side.

PLease comment if you see a problem with this idea.

3. With the seat all the way back and the rudder pedals as close to the firewall as the 3" minimum dimension specified on the left side view in Dwg. 37 will I have room to wear a parachute for aerobatics?

Thanks,

Larry
RV-6A N544WB (purchased flying)
Rv-7 empennage & wings complete, beginning QB fuselage

'tall' depends... how much leg and torso...

i am 6'4"+ with a 34" inseam and fit fine... not much extra room without introducing unwanted compromise... i have been especially focused on fit issues, legroom, headroom, general ergonomics during the build.

i included both the angle and support for both seats but it is extraneous for the pilot side. i would not omit it from the copilot side since it allows you to lock the seat back from unwanted movement when the seat is not occupied. i would go ahead and install the full 705 l, k and j to the seat back channel to support the copilot seat and provide flexibility for the pilot side.

unless your wife is especially tall she is unlikely to foul the peddles... my wife is 5'7" or so and can not even reach them when seated without stretch and intent.

if you insist on a parachute for the mild acrobatics that are typical in a -7 then a reliable method of actually exiting the cockpit in flight should be your focus... perhaps a whole plane parachute would be a better route to explore... for me i will go without and fly the plane.