Buggsy2

Well Known Member
I'm confused by a channel I just removed from the fuselage in my RV-9A QB TipUp build. I cannot find it anywhere in the plans, but it's hard to believe it was meant to serve only as a shipping brace and is now surplus. It was attached with a couple of pop rivets each side so clearly is meant to be removed and then either permanently attached or discarded.

The link below is to 3 photos, two showing detail of how the ends were attached (4 holes match 4 holes in the channel, the channel is now loose and lower in the photo), the other showing where it was in the fuselage:

I'm now building the sub-assembly for the TipUp and cannot figure out if this channel is used, and if so, how. I can't see it in any drawing. Can't see how it would fit with the sub-assembly either without some cutting. So what's it for?

A shipping brace.
Arghh....I musta spent 2 hours going over the plans with a microscope trying to find where this is used.

But that's good it's surplus. I have to move a sub-assy rib to make room for a 10" Dynon Skyview display, which will leave a large unbraced gap on the instrument panel. I'll repurpose this thing for additional bracing there.

A number of builders ...

... have re-used the shipping brace as as strip for toggles switches, riveted to the bottom of the main inst panel. It gives you some additional real estate on the main panel and at a very cheap price.