birddog

Hi Folks,
Looking for advise here. I am dreaming of starting on a RV kit by the end of the year and am torn between a 7, 9 or 14. Here are some considerations
I am 6'3 250lbs
My wife is 5'9 and 200 lbs
We are looking for side by side
I like the tail wheel
Aerobatic capability nice to have but not required
I have a share in a C182 and mainly use it for weekend flying and x-countrys.
Kids will have moved out and looking for something smaller and more efficient/economical fast and fun. Hope to travel more(day or weekend trips).
About 1500hrs (600 tail) flying time.
0 hours build / assembly time.
Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations on types as well as getting started would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

let yer butt do the talking.....

Hey birddog, welcome!
First, you may not know, but a high percentage of projects end in divorce! Sometimes initiated by nothing more that telling your spouses weight on a public forum! :)
Anyway, I gotta say there's no substitute for actually sitting in the plane.
I can pretty much guarantee you'll come away in love with the 14, but you and your copilot will have to come to terms on that! Why not buy a nice old 6 and get some experience in that while you are mulling over your choice?
Enjoy your quest!

Why not buy a nice old 6 and get some experience in that while you are mulling over your choice?
Enjoy your quest!

They wont have much utility unless the builder grossed it up. CG would be an issue for some builds.

welcome

Welcome Sandeep
Find local builders and owners. Check out all three. Bring the better half and sit in them.
14s are fairly recent but if you ask around, there's bound to be one near you.

If both of you are 200 or better, you'll be cramped in a 7 or 9. The 14 would be much more comfortable, and like the -9 it's also not hit with the two latest empenage SBs.

You will have to go to Oshkosh or Sun & Fun to sit in a 14 unless you go to the factory in Oregon. I have a six and would not recommend it for two large people.
The 14 was actually designed for you and will be an easier build than the other models you are considering. But you will have to build it as there won't be any for sale in the near future.

John Morgan

The 14

We visited Van's last summer and Joe gave us a ride in the 14. It was sooooo roomy, a very nice comfortable plane. For your body sizes the 14 would work very well, but as others have mentioned, you will have to build it. I'm not real big and the wife is petite, the 14 felt like a SUV compared to a 7 or 9.

Thanks for the responses folks. Appreciate it.

I am in NJ so if anyone close has a 7, 9 or a 14 that I could sit in please let me know.

I take Flyboy's point about weight and divorce seriously - as I learnt after I showed my wife the posting! :eek: