BSwayze

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to install the map box in the panel of my 7A tipup. The plans from Vans show a location on the panel that requires cutting into the F-721A side-rail flange. But for the slider, the map box is simply located a little bit higher on the panel, avoiding the need to cut into the side rail.

Is there any reason why I couldn't locate the map box a little higher in my tipup installation? Anyone else done this? Will it be in the way of something? I studied the plans and tried searching the forums here, but I can't seem to find an answer. It's hard to look forward and try to anticipate all the possible problems one may encounter.

Thanks to all. :)

make sure it doesn't conflict with the tipup reinforcement brace when closed. Otherwise you can probably put it wherever you want.

I rotated mine 90*. Some days I wonder why I even have it.

in our RV9, we put ours...

on the right side of the baggage compartment. pilot can reach it from left side very conveniently. no issue with the panel at all that way.

I wish I had left mine out. Just make sure it clears the front rib of the canopy and you will be fine. You may be able to get it up high enough but I would have to look at mine in detail to make sure.

Last edited:
I like my map box. However, it's not Van's, rather I made a custom box and put it on the passenger side just under my D120. Great for holding little bits and pieces (not maps, I keep those in a smaller tray (6" x9" x 1") on the pilot side just under the panel).

Greg